[Xmca-l] Re: Identity and personality

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Wed Jul 8 06:18:24 PDT 2020

I hope others will chime in with more answers for you, Hans,
because this is actually a very complex question.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.amazon.com.au/Identity-Agency-Cultural-Dorothy-Holland/dp/0674005627*22Identity__;JQ!!Mih3wA!XIQO3yYLAB1Akq-BjMwXNNcW2pGv4KGlt9xwLTRfoW-Pl-kqrneI2RnHjjp__h48IppqZg$
and Agency in Cultural Worlds" will have a lot helpful
material for you. As I recall,in this book, Dorothy Holland
explains that there are two basic answers to asking what is
the "self." For some people it is a kind of inner core, for
others it is something that grows and matures in interaction
with the world, layers rather than an inner core. CHAT
writers tend to answer for the second approach rather than
the first.

Add to this the difficulty in translating the word
"personality" between Russian and English. There are not
perfect matches. Even the Kantian "I" is a construct of
development for CHAT and not some transcendental entity.
Vygotsky and Leontyev are more like Hegel and Marx than Kant
and Nietzsche.

The following article of mine
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/pdfs/Leontyev*20and*20Social*20Theory.pdf__;JSUl!!Mih3wA!XIQO3yYLAB1Akq-BjMwXNNcW2pGv4KGlt9xwLTRfoW-Pl-kqrneI2RnHjjp__h7ubZU7cA$
looks at Leontyev's ideas, including his idea of
"personality," and
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/pdfs/Fedor*20Vasilyuk.pdf__;JQ!!Mih3wA!XIQO3yYLAB1Akq-BjMwXNNcW2pGv4KGlt9xwLTRfoW-Pl-kqrneI2RnHjjp__h5_RkHW3Q$
looks at Vasilyuk's Psychology which may also help shed
light on Soviet approaches.

Hope that helps.
Andy

*Andy Blunden*