[Xmca-l] Re: Just Published: L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological Works Vol. 1

PERRET-CLERMONT Anne-Nelly Anne-Nelly.Perret-Clermont@unine.ch
Sun Jan 5 06:36:33 PST 2020

Andy,
Thank you very much for all this. Your experience, expertise and wiseness are very useful for all of us who are trying to make publications accessible. And thanks also for all your work.
Thanks again,
Anne-Nelly

De : <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu<mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu>> on behalf of Andy Blunden <andyb@marxists.org<mailto:andyb@marxists.org>>
Répondre à : "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu<mailto:xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>>
Date : dimanche, 5 janvier 2020 à 14:38
À : "xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu<mailto:xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu<mailto:xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>>
Objet : [Xmca-l] Re: Just Published: L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological Works Vol. 1

Anne-Nelly,

At marxists.org we publish a vast collection of works by several hundred writers across 60 languages, though our Charter restricts us from publishing works by living authors (with some exceptions). We avoid breaching copyright because to do so risks court action which we, as a volunteer organisation could not withstand. In general though we can push the boundaries a little because most of our material is not of great commercial value, and we are safe from prosecution so long as we withdraw material the moment a copyright holder requests us to. We are only vulnerable should we refuse to take material down. You can't 'withdraw' material once you have put it in hard copy, of course. Further, while it existed, the USSR published much of the material in a wide variety of languages, and being a state, their product is by definition in the public domain.

However, there are a few cases where we have had trouble.

  *   Lawrence & Wishart threatened court action when demanding we remove all translations copied from MECW. We had to comply, despite the fact that pirate copies of the entire MECW are available on the internet.
  *   Pathfinder Press demanded we remove all the translations of Trotsky et al made by their party comrades, so we have had to use other translations
  *   Lawrence & Wishart also forced us to take down almost all of our Gramsci despite us having permission of the translator. We have translated a small number of pieces ourselves.

We have not had trouble publishing Vygotsky, but this is partly because we take care to only publish selectively, enough to stimulate interest but not enough to satisfy demand. The publishers of Vygotsky are our friends.

We have been able to publish all the important works of Hegel by avoiding recent translations still on the shelves of booksellers, and by using older translations, which, fortunately, are published by a large number of different publishers, for none of whom are our publications a serious threat.

We respect copyright laws mainly so as to continue to be able to provide our core texts free to the world, but having a mind too that the people whose economic interests we may impinge on are largely our friends. Those who are not, let us know.

Andy

Andy Blunden
Hegel for Social Movements<https://brill.com/view/title/54574>
Home Page<https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm>