[Xmca-l] Re: Just Published: L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological Works Vol. 1

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sat Jan 4 10:59:06 PST 2020

Hi Ann Nelly et al  --

We have never been hassled on lchc-related sites, including xmca. We have
declared several times
and in several places that xmca is an EDUCATIONAL discussion group and that
papers/chapters posted
there are for educational use. Either that has protected us or it is the
extreme esoteric and trivial nature of the chat-ing
that has spared us.

I am not sure why Pedology would be subject to difficulties.  The USSR did
not join the copyright agreement until
1973 .. a fact that made possible, financially, the publications of the
1920's and later, critical, decades of Soviet
cultural-historical work.

Note how much is allowed on Research Gate and Academia.
And note that there is an excellent e-book of many books, including
Cultural Psych book, floating around the internet.
I got mine free!

Still very porous, but the fractionation of the internet will probably
re-balkanize communication and bring it under
the kind of direct local control exercised by the Chinese, now the Russian,
and several other country.

Its a big deal to me that The Pedology has been published. It makes sense
of the way that Vygotsky's students
distributed various parts of it around many publications in journals and
book chapters. And hence influenced the way
that these works were appropriated abroad. In the fullness of time there
will be a special issue of MCA devoted to French colleagues have
interpreted this important work.

Back to the future again again!

--
 fiction is but a form of symbolic action, a mere game of “as if”, therein
lies its true   function and its potential for effecting change - R. Ellison