[Xmca-l] Re: Cultural-Historical Theory vs Cultural-Historical Activity Theory [was Re: CHT vs. CHAT]

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Fri Dec 11 12:19:30 PST 2020

Hi Francine, Huw and of course, venerable others,

Bypassing the opportunity to ignite the naming debate that Huw might be inadvertently inviting, and acknowledging that I have not watched the video in question, I am convinced there must be a way to differentiate any old unit of analysis from the unit selected for analysis. I maintain this is key to understanding Vygotsky's work. Keystone might be a better metaphor. Without this understanding, I contend that the arch of the theory collapses. I would be open to hearing from others on this if my affirmation should be disabused.

This has to do with intentionality and how a study is designed; how a study will generalize, its validity, etc. This is a particularly hairy endeavor when dealing with psychology studies of Vygotky's time, or cognitive science studies, as we might know such studies today.

I think a beautiful example of this choosing of units is Edwin Hutchin's Cognition in the Wild (1995) which is a study of navigation, as a cultural practice. The unit for analysis in his undertaking (even if he himself might say "unit of analysis") is the plot fix. Everything is tied together with that unit. That can be witnessed from reading the book, as all the chapters deal with a different aspect of the cultural practice of maritime navigation, but they all tie together with the unit of the plot fix. I have said it sometime ago I think the book is a masterpiece, and I still feel this way.

I maintain that by using the phrase "unit for analysis" a researcher is signaling her conscious intention to choose the unit as connecting the specific to the general. This is an approach that Vygotsky recognizes as the only way to study development of the mind in a child, since children cannot communicate effectively what is going on in their minds or why, and certainly dissecting children to learn what is happening in their brains is an untenable method to legitimately study child development, and would only offer us biological data on brain development really, and that's making an assumption that minds are actually located in brains (they are not). At the same time, trying to avoid the pitfalls of the reflexologists (such as Pavlov) isn't it the case that LSV's assertion that the study of behavior, as is the practice of behaviorism, which reflexology anticipates, will not explain with precision the development of mind in the child. Behavior is too imprecise a unit to indicate thoughts of the subject.

But then what I have worried about with activity theory, is whether it just a refabrication of behaviorism? I do not mean to be flip about that or to disparage AT, because I am not conversant in its approaches. I freely admit that.

It's just I must disagree with connecting activity as a means of identifying awareness in an individual. Expertise can be measured by behavior, but consciousness? I'm not so sure.

What is the indication of a meditating swami's awareness? If the swami is simply sitting, doing nothing? Nothing can be revealed. But if the swami teaches, the words the swami uses will indicate the level of conscious awareness the swami possesses.

The word offers more precision. But again, it depends upon the objective of the inquiry.

Thank you, Francine for locating the molecule quote, and I am remiss that I may have recalled the metaphor clumsily. You have corrected me and in so doing I am feeling the pull to read The Crisis again to refresh my memory.

To Huw's credit it is true that some linguists might be chauvinistic toward their "medium", but that doesn't seem to jibe as a weakness for LSV, indeed he is promoting a very flexible approach.

Also, while I'm not going to be the thought police of whether researchers use the right prepositions, OF or FOR, what I am supporting is the usage of UNITS FOR ANALYSIS as a means to distinguish intentionality, given the problems rife in translation. It would not be incorrect to say UNIT OF ANALYSIS, but it would be less precise.

Furthermore, truly, I would have to defer to Holbrook here and I hope if he is out there, he might jump in. He is the one who put the notion in my head and explained its importance to me. I readily admit that that was some years ago and the mists of time could have obstructed my own ability to substantiate for you it as he did for me.

This is to say that even if OF is a correct translation from the Russian, I did not argue that OF is a wrong translation of the Russian proposition used, but rather that FOR is a better translation of the word-meaning. If I gave that impression, that was my mistake.

I would also suggest that the focus of discussion is not about word vs activity. That would a false dichotomy. It is about the units chosen for the purposes of analysis. That stance opens up many possibilities.

I am a little agnostic about CHAT being the umbrella term that includes all the varieties of the theory. Though, honestly it doesn't sit comfortably for me, but that's why I might be a heretic and reference Vygotsky's theory as sociocultural theory. But I also recognize, others may feel the same way about that term, as I might feel about CHAT, for the same reason that it leaves something out. That is why I don't feel it's accurate to say it is two frameworks because there could be others in the future, and this would cause the acronym, CHAT, to break.

So, the debate as framed, to me, would be: Under what conditions is the word the best unit for analysis, under what conditions is activity the best unit for analysis, and...(and this is an important concatenation) are there other possible units that could be better suited?

This allows the theory to flex with advancing understanding in cognitive science (my umbrella term to include all the disciplines as referenced in Howard Gardener's diagram in The Mind’s New Science: A History of the Cognitive Revolution(1987); these being anthropology, artificial intelligence (comp sci), linguistics, neuroscience, philosophy, and psychology). New units could be revealed as appropriate, which should be a welcomed innovation!

Vygotsky is in my mind the first bona fide cognitive scientist, even though computer science was not even an embryo during his lifetime. He would have been amazed by the ways that computers are being used to model neural activity, and other forms of simulation, as well as how computers are learning language. Just imagine what he might do with a smart phone.

WOW.

This is why LSV's insights are so tremendous, because he includes a space for developments of the future.

We stand on the shoulders of a beloved, gentle giant.

Kind regards,

Annalisa

xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu
on behalf of
Huw Lloyd <huw.softdesigns@gmail.com>
Fri 12/11/2020 5:24 AM
Francine, for clarification, I have considered CHAT to be an umbrella category, e.g. where the T may stand for Theories. Hence what Nikolai specifically focuses upon are Leontyev's AT, Vygotsky's CHT, and ‪Yrjö Engeström's AT.

Re units, various people (Andy comes to mind) have noted that LSV employed numerous units of analysis.  On that basis my inference is that you are questioning the relation between activity-as-consciousness with word-meaning-as-consciousness (in the cognitive sense). If that is the case, then simply some practical thinking around manifestations of awareness and thinking reveals that word meanings are not the only vehicle for such awareness. This seems harder for linguists to recognise and recollect because this seems to be their principal medium.

Best,
Huw

xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu
on behalf of
Larry Smolucha <lsmolucha@hotmail.com>
Wed 12/9/2020 6:53 PM

>From Francine:

Good Morning Annalisa,
I enjoyed reading your commentary.

The Vygotsky quote you are looking for is on the second page of "Thought and Word" (p.211 in Thought and Language 1986). There the Kozulin translation is unit of analysis, just after Vygotsky describes how hydrogen and oxygen create a water droplet with properties different from the two flammable gases (combined in every molecule of water). Vygotsky then elaborates that in a water droplet the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. This can be understood as the synthesis of a thesis and antithesis in a dialectic, referring back to Vygotsky's earlier argument for the use of dialectic in the The Meaning of the Crisis in Psychology (1926-1927). It can also be understood as a type of synergy - my husband Larry and I first introduced Synergistic Psychology in a publication in 1988 and have been advancing it as a theory ever since.

Please note: "Thought and Word" begins with the analogy of a 'word' as being like water droplet and ends with an analogy with a water droplet. In the final paragraph - consciousness being reflected in a word just as sunlight is reflected off every drop of water, as well as the ocean.

If you prefer using the terminology unit for analysis to describe what has been translated as unit of analysis,
my guess is most people will still use the term unit of analysis. I don't think this is incorrect. We could look at the Russian text (if anyone has a copy) - the preposition is probably 'v' in Russian usually translated as 'of'. (Would anyone care to argue that it is better translated as 'for' ?)

And yes, it is time to examine the applicability of the concept of activity as the unit for analysis versus Vygotsky's use of a 'word'. But what does this do to CHAT? Does CHAT as a theory offer two frameworks (the Cultural Historical Theory of Vygotsky and the Activity Theory of Leontiev) or one unifying framework? Just asking . . .