[Xmca-l] Re: Interviews with Huw L. and Nikolai V.

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Wed Dec 9 14:27:27 PST 2020

Henry and venerable others,

I might add that Imagination is something like a self-imposed zone of proximal development, which then becomes concrete if there is motivation to act upon that which is imagined.

Am I correct to say that those who adhere to CHAT see that activity is the *only* unit for analysis, but that Vygotsky did not agree to be that hard-wired about activity as the unit for analysis? That it depends upon the problem one wishes to study. And so perhaps the difference between CHATters and Vygotskians is this understanding of the unit for analysis?

For example, how does one use activity as the unit for analysis if one is studying imagination? Or language? or culture?

If one were to study national anthems, would the *only* way to study them be to examine the activities associated with them? In terms of where they are sung or by whom they are sung? Or could one do an analysis of their notes? their lyrics?

How might that work?

Kind regards,

Annalisa

________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of HENRY SHONERD <hshonerd@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 12:04 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Interviews with Huw L. and Nikolai V.

  [EXTERNAL]

Anthony,
The excerpts were excellent! I simply wasn’t up to listening to the entire conversations of Huw and Nikolai.
Even before I saw the excerpts I was thinking about the CHT vs. CHAT issue you discussed with Nikolai and the issue of Active Orientation that Huw talked about.
I wonder if Huw would agree with me that Active Orientation is about the imagination. It is thinking that makes thought real, epistemic. As in an active imagination. Fevered even.
What’s missing in CHT is the purpose of development: Activity. CHAT complements Vygotsky’s work by making Activity is the unit of analysis. Imagination is Activity in a way that simple thinking is not. ZPD, as a Vygotsky-inspired concept, rather than what he may actually have written—and there is great controversy on this—has within it Activity as Problem Solving. I think this is what Dewey was talking about.

I want also to say that Helen Worthen’s conversation with Anthony was really Rising to the Concrete. Huw and Nikolai were insightful but Helen got the Narrative right on what its like to work. Huw and Nikolai worked so hard at True Concepts, in the Vygotskian sense, but the Perizhvanie of Helen on what it’s like to work was spot on.

IMHO
Henry