[Xmca-l] A ZPD of trauma?

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Fri Dec 4 00:35:15 PST 2020

Hello XMCArs and venerable others,

Someone dear to me told me about this quote today, which seems relevant to recent parlays here on the list so I thought I would share:

"Trauma in a person, decontextualized over time, looks like personality.

Trauma in a family, decontextualized over time, looks like family traits.

Trauma in a people, decontextualized over time, looks like culture."

-Resmaa Menakem

Maybe these pearls can wedge some of that space we are seeking in terms of understanding...

Let's try as Anna suggests, and not go back to business as usual and attempt to see this as an opportunity.

An opportunity for what though?

What is desired here and now?

Who would like to fill the gap with some intrepid imagination?

Might we discuss further upon of Zaza's design questions, which I repost here (from her post 11/27/20 "Why generations")?

1. "What is the context for this post? I think I get it but are we talking about the same thing?"
The design question we can ask ourselves: What can we do to provide better context, in a way that invites more members to add to an original post?

2. "I'm only marginally familiar with this topic, I'm curious but I won't ask questions but I don't have the energy to be "schooled" on this today." The design questions we can ask ourselves: How can we be argumentative, informative, without being toxic? What is the best way to engage novices and experts in this topic?

3. "Who else is out there, reading this? I don't know who I'm talking to except the 5 or so active members"
The design question we can ask ourselves: What can we do as a community to learn more about each other, our work, and our domains of focus or ways of applying CHAT.

4. "If I post this will it turn into a long and laborious (unpleasant) email exchange? Am I ready for a fight in this space?"
The design question we can ask ourselves: How do we bring critique without criticism? How do we sustain conversation without putting the burden on only the original poster?

5. "Dude, I don't read or speak Russian so I have nothing to say about the translation from the original."
The design question we can ask ourselves: How do we get around the challenges of casual and virtual engagement; and the challenge of not knowing who this community is or if what I (each of us) can contribute will be valuable to the community.

I find these questions very illuminating because they don't get bogged down in the snarl of it all and seem transcendent without being dismissive to the matter at hand.

Would anyone like to start with #1: What can we do to provide better context, in a way that invites more members to add to an original post?

What is our struggle here?

Anyone? How might we connect this question to concerns recently shared?

Come on in the water's fine.

Kind regards,

Annalisa