[Xmca-l] Re: Pain and suffering vs business as usual

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Tue Dec 1 10:21:44 PST 2020

Hi Anna,

I am sorry that you do not feel free to speak directly to me, but there are allusions to my post ("Vygotsky simply") by mention in your email about freedom of speech and defense of democracy as defense of despotism that seemed to reference my post, so I feel you are speaking to me. If I have made an assumption, I apologize, but it is to say this informs my reply to you.

Please know that I do not disagree with you about many observations in your post. One thing that you are wrong about is that I am not defending despotism. I believe that the democratic process works. It is messy and can be painful, but it is far less painful that despotism.

I do find Anthony's patronizing emails annoying, even insulting, and I've had my share of conflict with Andy when I first began posting on the list. I feel that it is an initiation to this list to butt heads with Andy. Still I feel that Andy has contributed much to our community by way of his website procurements on Marxists.org. I myself have seen him grow as the tone of his posts have become more circumspect. But if he has done a person wrong, he is capable of taking the heat for it. I think that is something Helena has referenced in her own way.

But Andy isn't the only person on this list. I have also had many very meaningful conversations with others on this list, regular posters and not-so regular posters. I have had challenges and been offended, etc etc, etc.

The challenge with listservs is that they remove context and are asynchronous. It is impossible to capture tone. It seems many, to be safe, are inclined to err on the side of caution to consider a tone is mal-intended than not if it is not clear. That's not something that can be helped about the technology.

I have been dismissed regularly on this list, but I can't take it personally. At the same time. like Andy, my desire for knowledge is not made concrete with the walls of an academic institution or a professorship. So my small privilege is that I can speak more freely than someone seeking a PhD, a postdoc, a professorship, or funding, and so on, without fear of a passive aggressive attack on my academic career; I do not have an academic career to protect.

While in San Diego, I was invited by Mike to participate in LCHC seminars which I did for about a year. I wasn't treated that well there by some of the attendees. I had my share of humiliating moments. But then I started to understand that there is an aspect of academia which is difficult, that upon reflection I don't think can ever be expunged. When experienced thinkers are challenging ideas, which is a requirement when swimming the currents of academia, one must have a thick skin to brave the cold waters. But like jumping into a river there is a shock and then the body acclimates.

I do not say that academics is fair, because it isn't. There is collateral damage. People's feelings can be hurt, people's careers can be damaged. I get it. But I still attended LCHC. I kept going, because I wanted to learn what there was to learn, and I wanted to witness it first hand, until I couldn't anymore because of geographic realities.

That experience has kept me connected to the list and provides me an understanding of the dynamics that affords my accommodations that I have tried to share with the list in my post.

I will also share that I held a misguided fear of the aura of LCHC that actually impeded me. It was all in my head. Without getting into details, since this is a public forum, I will just say that I might have been able to go farther if not for that fear in my head. For those whose lives are shaped by FUD, I hope there is a way for you to do reality check in whatever way that might work for you, and I hope for you to have the courage to step forward and participate despite knawing FUD.

The naming of my experiences is not to dismiss the very real conflicts that venerable others experience on this list. I can only speak of my own experience, and I promise you I am not a privileged white male, nor could I ever see myself apologizing for insensitive acts on the list that derive from "white-male privilege."

Anyone who acts from entitlement has issues. Regardless, I am also not going to let their mere existence define me and who I want to be.

I will not marginalize myself. I accept myself.

What I am trying to offer to the mix here is a third way, to loosen up the space, to not make it so much speechifying of "us vs them". To be in the moment and allow for some oxygen. To be accommodating.

The rules of engagement in academia are never going to be "fair", and lots of people who don't or can't or won't play along will be left outside of it, I discovered that fact myself very, very personally. The reality is this happens everywhere in other areas of political engagement.

Does that mean I should not care about democracy? or other ideals that allow for individual and group freedoms to think for oneself? Does it mean that because I choose not to be bitter that I have somehow capitulated and sold out?

Or does it mean that because I acknowledge the reality that I am likely foolish to think there will be a magical day when an overturning of the culture in academia will somehow provide a protective cocoon to novices and experts who want and need them, where all challenges between cohorts will be softball pitches and teddy bear tea parties, that I am somehow *promoting* social injustice???

I sometimes wonder whether an aspect of our discussion has to do with expectations not meeting with reality, and the larger that gap between the two the more painful it can be. I mean, privileged white males can be pretty ruthless, even to each other. I'm not sure I would ever want to be one.

Still, I want to acknowledge the pain, because I know that it is there. I respect it's presnce.

The only thing I can do is sit with it and bear witness. Something does arise on its own. That's the nature of healing. It's about getting out of the way to let the healing take place. It's not about doing.

That's not a chastisement against you or anyone who is suffering, but to emphasize my appeal for empathy, to legitimize that there is a deep hurt among all people, even if the dynamics of pain are not shared.

Pain and suffering are highly democratic.  Contesting who's pain and suffering is legitimate is highly offensive and arrogant, and I'm fairly certain that I'm not doing that here.

I was told once by a teacher that arrogance is indication of a deep hurt. He said that arrogance functions like a blister by making the person insensitive and numb to others. It is a means of protection, of isolating deep unspeakable pain. I find this a meaningful metaphor to understand the dysfunction of arrogance and to not be taken in by it when I see it. That doesn't mean it is easy to deal with, but this insight helps me cope when it comes up in my life.

I hope this insight might help others on this list, and I offer it sincerely.

Kind regards,

Annalisa

P.S. I saw Dana's post come down the river as I was writing mine, and I love the idea of a University of Students. It reminded me of the Global Center for Advanced Studies (GCAS)  and I wondered if anyone had heard of that educational experiment, now 7 years old. See: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://gcas.ie/happy-birthday-gcas__;!!Mih3wA!VvG8bqbNsBDA77KelAZufxGXpCvphNE_ZKLX-qz0Mv5nCgWM066rNCqafAJeScX46inZ5A$