[Xmca-l] Re: "conscious awareness enters through the gate" (a Participation Question)

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Wed Aug 19 19:35:51 PDT 2020

Ha, ha. Well done, Martin. That passage in "Crisis" is truly
one of my favourite passages as well. And I had remembered
it as being about a candle, too! Funny that.

It's all in the expressions like "an appearance, not
something that really exists," isn't it? As Lenin said:
"There is no sharp line between the thing-in-itself and
phenomena."

The other bit which I like to join with that quote from
"Crisis" is that bit at the end of his famous 1924 talk:

    "The historian and the geologist reconstruct the facts
    (which already do not exist) indirectly, and
    nevertheless in the end/they study the facts that have
    been,/not the traces or documents that remained and were
    preserved. Similarly, the psychologist is often in the
    position of the historian and the geologist. Then he
    acts like a detective who brings to light a crime he
    never witnessed."

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
Hegel for Social Movements <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://brill.com/view/title/54574__;!!Mih3wA!VUrO8KHBiAD3F4WA25vN4AjLHzQRRdeDAQ4IbR_OdE8IBF8PBBN1OC2CRTN9KjyynAMJvA$ >