[Xmca-l] Re: "conscious awareness enters through the gate" (a Participation Question)

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 15:46:42 PDT 2020

Dear Henry:

As far as I know, there are many different schools of Kabuki, including a
'social realist' one and a much more stylized one. But like Stanislavsky's
method, all of them are "depth" approaches which seek out inner truth by
deep-diving into something called 'character'. For me, Noh is a much more
"heights" approach, and like Brecht it involves holding character at a
distance and trying to form overall judgements about it rather than getting
lost in the details of a personality. There is a similar tension in Chinese
opera, between Shanghai Opera (deep-diving) and Beijing (stylized). I'm not
sure I could call that a grammar; it looks more like granularity on stage
(consider, for example, the use of make-up, the importance of costume, and
place of recitative).

Michael probably knows more than I do about Stanislavsky. But when you are
in a conversation and somebody says something like "You've completely lost
me", there are three possibilities. One is just interpersonal--I'm not very
interested in what you are saying and I've got other things to do. Another
possibility is more ideational--I can't follow what you are saying--maybe
because of the lexicogrammar you use or because of the unfamiliar ideas you
have--and I need some other way of understanding it, like a familiar
example or a story. A third is textual: I am interested in what you say and
I recognize the setting and the characters you are referring to, but I
can't really get my arms around the interpretative frame. Usually the
problems I have communicating are of the textual type--not always, but more
often than not.

We're having a similar problem with our new book, which is about the
emotions: Vygotsky has left us a fragment, and it's long, circuitous and
assumes a very thorough knowledge of seventeenth century philosophy. So we
want to turn it into a kind of comic book, using seventeenth century Dutch
paintings, which include a lot of the ideas that I think are most
troublesome (e.g. "Deus Sive Natura", "Mind is the Body's Idea of Itself",
"Freedom is an illusion, but recognition of necessity is real"). That
format in itself can create an interpretive frame that people have trouble
with (can I take this seriously--it's a comic book!). I was looking forward
to mansplaining in a face to face meeting with our readers this Saturday,
but that's now been cancelled because of the spike we are having in Seoul
(like our first one, incubated by a religious sect owing fealty to the
remnants of the former military dictatorship and to Donald Trump).

If you compare Cognitive Grammar to Systemic-Functional Grammar, you'll
notice three differences right away.

a) Cognitive Grammar assumes a COGNITIVE semantics. Systemic-Functional
Grammar treats 'cognitive processes' as a black box and studies visible
social-semiotic processes instead.
b) Cognitive Grammar has, as you say, TWO strata--form and meaning.
Systemic-Functional grammar has three, and allows for coupling all three in
different ways, because a two stratal model, particularly one that
emphasizes fixed units of redounding elements, is essentially replicative
and cannot account for development.
c) Cognitive Grammar is, as we have said before, speculative.
Systemic-Functional Grammar depends on a dialectic of research into
empirical facts in many languages and theoretical generalizations, all of
which (to date, anyway) avoid universalization.

I remember asking Ruqaiya Hasan about Langacker and cognitive grammar. She
told me that when they were in Singapore together, Langacker complained
that his cognitive grammar was being largely ignored. "And what about
Halliday?" Ruqaiya asked. Fortunately, MCA is NOT ignoring Halliday! (See
link below!)

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New article in Mind, Culture, and Activity:
Realizations: non-causal but real relationships in and between Halliday,
Hasan, and Vygotsky

Some free e-prints today available at:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/Y8YHS3SRW42VXPTVY2Z6/full?target=10.1080*10749039.2020.1806329__;Lw!!Mih3wA!WzhE4UmkZC17BnEoGQS1fRQ5ws_X1EarH5Yqn8YDscsZhL7pAkoHazqpRwBbKJIMxdHi6w$

New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological Works
Volume One: Foundations of Pedology"
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!WzhE4UmkZC17BnEoGQS1fRQ5ws_X1EarH5Yqn8YDscsZhL7pAkoHazqpRwBbKJIh1AzN2g$