[Xmca-l] Re: "conscious awareness enters through the gate" (a Participation Question)

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Sat Aug 15 18:34:50 PDT 2020

I fully agree with what Martin has said in this thread, but
I can add a little about the seemingly outrageous
conclusions drawn from the Uzbek experiments.

As I understand it, the expedition to Uzbekistan was in
1929, but it was in 1930 that Vygotsky worked with
colleagues of Deborin, who actually understood Hegel. From
this point forward Vygotsky changed what he understood to be
a "true concept" - i.e., "truly a concept." Hitherto,
following mainstream analytical science he had taken a
taxonomic category (i.e., like "large, green, wooden
blocks") to be the archetype of true concept.

In your own work, Mike, coming from the experience in
Liberia, you have made a detailed study of this taxonomic
type of thinking. Your discovered that (1) taxonomic
thinking and perception is a powerful form of activity, (2)
it is the type of thinking which is routinely inculcated in
"western" schooling practices, (3) it is generally not
taught in indigenous traditional communities, (4) it is not
easily acquired spontaneously. As was remarked, indigenous
communities in Uzbekistan or the Trobrian Island are rich in
true concepts, but poor in taxonomic reasoning.

I think of the reaction of the Uzbeks to Luria's questions
something like how someone on this list would react to a man
in a white coat asking us to look at four people, 3 of them
white Anglo-Saxon, one of them African-American, and asking
us to say which one of the people don't belong. Large,
class-based, bureaucratic societies rely on taxonomic
thinking to operate. I think that in indigenous communities
it is regarded as morally repulsive to act that way.

Just a little insight from Hegel, who says that subjection
of one's own will to one's own will ("turn the will on to
itself") is the path to free will. Equally, turning one's
thinking on one's own thinking is the path to conscious
control of one's own thinking, i.e., conscious awareness.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
Hegel for Social Movements <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://brill.com/view/title/54574__;!!Mih3wA!S7CeeTQ7C4hGYUAH0f2TIKxj_E2KCNa2tgKZNqFEYsisUyaDy1z2TXdR6Lbav_CIsb-4aA$ >
Home Page <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm__;!!Mih3wA!S7CeeTQ7C4hGYUAH0f2TIKxj_E2KCNa2tgKZNqFEYsisUyaDy1z2TXdR6Lbav_DVVYRDlQ$ >