[Xmca-l] Re: "conscious awareness enters through the gate" (a Participation Question)

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Fri Aug 14 12:47:37 PDT 2020

Hi Annalisa,

I am reading Vygotsky seriously right now for the second time, maybe twenty years later (by reading I mean I keep going back to his writing and mulling over it and discussing it with students and colleagues – I don’t know how many times I’ve screamed, “No, no don’t say scaffolding to me” over the last year.

I am reading Vygotsky in a very different way this time. One of the things that is helping me is that I have a student who was a Russian linguist who likes the way Vygotsky writes but does not have any agenda (her interests run to game design). I would ask her what words really mean and every time she would smile and tell me but with some variation of, “You don’t really read Russian that way.” Here is what I get from this teacher/student – if German is the language you use to train your horse and French is the language you use to make love and English is the language you use to do business – Russian is the language you use to write poetry. No accident Tolstoy and Dusteovsky and Chekhov and Gogol (she would kill me if I forgot Gogol) were Russian. I am not good enough at language I think it truly understand this (I learned two words living six months in Mexico) but it has a pretty big effect on me. I see Vygotsky much more as an artist and much less as an artist, that he was pushing back against psychologists rather than attempting to become part of the club.

This for instance is why I am interested in his relationship with Gurivich. It is not about the experiments, it is about the literature. When he talks about tool and symbol it is because it is symbols which make us human. I think he may be closer to the humanities than most psychologist, because indeed it is the humanities that makes us human. As psychologists who have given ourselves over to positivist models I wonder if we have a hard time accepting this.

All this to say, I don’t think he took affect from Spinoza (I never did, Spinoza strikes me as very cryptic) and I think he was more immersed in affect than we recognized. I think he took it from the theater and the realist revolution that was going on around him and which for a very short time he was a very small part of.  I think it is deep in his later writings, chapter six and seven of Thinking and Speech for instance. Your ideas on the Vedic tradition and Upadhi. I studied a year in India when young and my yoga teacher tried so hard to get me to understand it and I never could, and eventually got thrown out of class (ah dear Pushpatti you knew me too well).  Of course Vygotsky almost certainly had no background in Vedic thinking.  What I do think is that like the writer he wanted to be he used phrases and ideas less as truths and more to move his narrative forward. They played a role for him. He was a good writer it seems but not a great writer. I think he uses conscious awareness in this manner. He is using the idea to push his narrative forward (I definitely don’t want to go into what I think his narrative was as it would too long and convoluted to be of use). But I think it is important to see conscious awareness in that way, not as a stand alone concept but as a way to push his narrative of human thinking and development forward.

Michael

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of Annalisa Aguilar
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2020 2:30 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: "conscious awareness enters through the gate" (a Participation Question)

Hi Michael, David, Andy, and others,

Thank you Michael for your helpful reply. I appreciate the humility expressed which is always the sign of a good thinker, if that is OK for me to express without sounding arrogant myself.

I am beginning to consider whether Vygotsky's model is flawed. I'm sensing this more than I have ever considered it before. I'm likely not the first to criticize it.

But I also know that I'm looking at his writing with a lens of distortion of history, translations, and what Andy might call contextual ignorance. That's why I think I am trying to be very generous by asking questions such as "what are the actual Russian words he used?"

Would it be eye-rollingly overbearing if I were to say that there is a model about thinking that already existed not of the 21st century?

If you can bear with me I can relate this to Vygotsky farther down, but first I must relate a few concepts about mind that I believe are quite useful and even illuminating.

In Vedic understanding of mind, there is the vritti. This translates to "thought modification." Kind of like molding-clay may be shaped into one form and then another, we can only have one thought at a time, just as we can only form one object of clay at a time with the same lump, even though there are transitional states, like we might witness on the potters wheel of a vase being formed into a wider mouthed bowl, and then perhaps into a plate. Thoughts transform similarly.

The mind has four aspects. This is cit, manas, buddhi, and ahankara. These aspects work upon the vritti in specific ways which will become clear below.

Cit is awareness or consciousness, and considered similar to light, in the way light will light up a room so that we can see what is in it.

Manas is the ruminating mind, the one that free-associates, and this includes manifest emotions as well. Like when we might have "monkey mind." Or that asks the question, "Did I forget my keys on the counter?"

Buddhi is the decisive mind. It is the one that reasons and picks out what is important, like the editor of a newspaper. It recognizes, it weighs this with that, and takes a decision to task.

Ahankara is the notion of self, what I take myself to be. It is notional in the same way a person can consider self-worth based upon possessions, birth into a particular family, level of education, other ways of identification. But also when I take myself to be the condition of my mind at a given moment. (as in: My mind is sad, therefore I am sad). It is also the part of mind that believes that this mind-body-sense complex is me. The mind-body-sense complex is a limiting adjunct, and is referred to as an upadhi.

Upadhi can be a difficult concept to grasp fully, but it is similar to the way a crystal is clear but if I hold a flower next to it, I will see a pink crystal not a transparent one, and I say "the crystal is pink." The crystal in reality is not pink, but is borrowing the color from the rose set next to it; nothing has changed in the structure of the crystal at all. It is by appearance only. Ahankara is functional, but some might mistake it as structural. Sometimes ahankara is translated as ego, but it's not exactly that, because it is not necessary to get rid of it, but more to understand its functional role in my life.

Mind in this model is interactional between these four aspects, which are in their own way casting various forms upon the thought-modifications, or vrittis.

If you are still with me, I would guess that the vritti might map to Vygotsky's concept of a concept. Manas is the affective mind, which I don't know if he discusses that much, and manas might map to a role of forming "everyday concepts." Perhaps this is what is impacted by perezhivanie, which seems to be something that comes from the outside alone.

(Can there be inner perezhivanie??)

Buddhi might have the role of forming the scientific concepts, because it is decisive and reasons, and that would be certainly be required to form a scientific concept.

However as I'm writing this, manas can also be involved, because it would be the more intuitive part of thinking, say when a scientist as a hunch. Likewise, the buddhi can be involved in the spontaneous concept formation as well, because that would be the moment of identifying my brother from everyone else's brother.

Cit is an aspect of awareness that is present in the person that when absent means the person is no longer alive. Because there is no separation between mind and body in this model, cit would also be seen as penetrating the body, not just the mind, and is why I can be aware of my hand as equally as my thoughts. It's a life force on the subtlest plane, it is simply awareness that permeates all, like light permeates space. Or like the way the pink of the flower penetrates the crystal making it seem that the crystal is pink, which is why it is so easy to believe that thought is happening in the brain, behind the eyes. It is illusory, or "mithya" which is a dependent reality that reveals itself and emerges like a wave on the surface of the sea.

Because I maintain the Vedic model conceptually frames reality more faithfully, I'm having a hard time with the phrase "conscious awareness," because it would be mingling the pink into the crystal, when the pink is only apparent to the crystal.

Now if what he was actually describing is analogous to buddhi, I could abide in the naming being wrong but the meaning being the same.

One reason that Vygotsky is compelling to me is that he breaks from a model of mind that is internal to the individual and from the environment having no part to play in the mind's evolution in the individual.

That is basically crossing the Rubicon in terms of making the self an air-tight ready-made with a mind-body split that is determined by genetics or by happenstance. Because it is both nature and nurture. Vygotsky seeks the order by which the person develops, and the "quantum-physics" of self manifesting as a mind-person in the world with others in time and space. It's really cool, right?

The tricky part of all this is the work was done in the midst of an evolution, it is incomplete, he suffered illness, political isolation and so on. It's a wonder that we can even be here to know that he existed at all.

What is particularly compelling for me is his occupation with emotions, specifically how he was drawn to how Spinoza wrote about emotion. It was his Rosetta Stone  he attempted to crack.

Here's another question: Did Vygotsky read Latin?

It's a nice perezhivanie moment that Michael, that you can share your shining moment of using the Bishop's gambit in your chess game by the pool, and how that must have brought more light to your relationship with your brother. Thanks for sharing it.

In any case I can accept that "conscious awareness" is an attempt to name a phenomenon that Vygotsky recognized in the development of mind. It is perhaps a phrase too crude to serve with the precision required for the task at hand.

Kind regards,

Annalisa