[Xmca-l] Re: Female Scholars in the Work of Vygotsky

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 05:37:32 PDT 2020

Try Volume Five in English, Volume Four in Russian for Grunwald (it is
misspelt in English), the short selections from Pedology of the Adolescent.

I think it would help me to help you if I knew what significance you are
trying to attribute to this putative lack of citations. Since you have
Volume Six, you know that Vygotsky cites Charlotte Buhler (p. 5), Lia
Geshelina (11), Julia Kotelova (12), Rosa Levina (15), E.I. Pashkovskaya
(12),  Natalya Menchinskaya (42), as well as N.G. Morozova (9), Liya
Slavina (43) and Lydia Bozhovich (43). It would also help if I knew why you
think that promoting the work of female colleagues doesn't count as
promoting the work of female scholars. It seems to me that all of these
colleagues and/or scholars are cited pretty much in the same way he cites
Gurevich, that is, with a footnote, a reference to a study, a quotation,
sometimes a whole paragraph or more, They are listed in the index and in
the references, probably by the editors--Vygotsky was indiscriminately
careless about citing chapter and verse, although not unusually so for his
time and place. It is certainly interesting that there are more Soviet than
non-Soviet female scholars, but there are also more German than
non-German/non-Soviet female scholars, and more junior female researchers
than non-female junior researchers, which is probably also true of our own
time and place. So what exactly do you make of it?

Perhaps you can help me as well, Michael. For our thirteenth volume, I am
interested in the reference to Ekaterina Olimnievna Shumova-Simanovskaya in
Volume Six (English and Russian). She is cited as "others" by Vygotsky (94)
and by name in W.B. Cannon's work on the James Lange theory but I can find
no citation of her work in the work of her professor, I.P. Pavlov, which I
guess is Vygotsky's source. Did Cannon know her personally?

We are proud to present the third volume of the Pedology of the Adolescent
in Korean (see attached). For anyone in Seoul, we will have a promotional
"Book Concert" for the whole eleven-volume series downtown next Saturday if
there is no Covid spike in the interim. I'll be talking about Vygotsky and
sex education (in Korean only).

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!WStFjpRU0awvUPzigfny8xubUiXJgfOxGrvNi9MjSq6H1WAUrPuXRH5pNBjvSj3fXw2zpw$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!WStFjpRU0awvUPzigfny8xubUiXJgfOxGrvNi9MjSq6H1WAUrPuXRH5pNBjvSj2R3_S-Rg$