[Xmca-l] Re: Synoptic Gospel

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Sun Aug 9 14:04:13 PDT 2020

David and venerable O's:

I consider the words David has dropped into the mix.

Syncretic = blending of two categories into one.

Synoptic = taking a general view, but in Christianity it is a reference to the synoptic gospels Mark, Matthew, and Luke.

Most people who have done even a little research on the New Testament will know that there's a lot of bad reporting when it comes to Jesus. Still no one knows about those 10 years in the desert. (Though in India there are stories that Jesus came there to study Vedanta, and that he is really a Vedantin).

Repeating the same story three times doesn't make it true. Especially when considering all the other gospels that were sidelined as heretical and forced into hiding. Like some of Vygotky's own writing under Stalinist Russia.

I wonder if we are seeing our own Council of Nicea concerning the interpretations of what happened before?

If you might recall, The Council of Nicea arose from a tiff in Alexandria between Arius and Athansius, the bishop of Alexandria.

Arius maintained that "the Son is of a different substance from the Father, i.e. created." This was also to indicate that Jesus was just a regular guy, like all of us, which then indicates that anyone could become like Jesus, by living like him.

Athansius won the controversy defining the existence of the Trinity, as "one God in three Divine persons". The three persons are distinct, yet are one "substance, essence or nature". This *essential*-ly makes Jesus "special" and unattainable, that he was not of this world, and this distinction separates him from everyone else before, during, and after his lifetime, which basically reaffirms hierarchy within the early church. It also makes for Mary having highly fertile ears in proximity to itinerant angels.

So along with other camps of debate, Arius and Athansius were considered Heteroosians and Homoosians respectively.

Are there similarities in terms of defining our terms? History rhyming I suppose.

In our case, we have those who have come after Vygotsky trying to decipher to truth of Vygotsky's work, and to define and extend the theories.

I almost wonder if it is appropriate to think of Lantiov as creating his own trinity in the development Activity Theory, activity unites everything

(I must ask though, how is AT different from Behaviorism?)

On the other hand, different researchers who wish to hold closer to Vygotsky, pose  perezhivanie arises at a particular time between the individual and the environment, which are different. (Is that fair to state?) In order to measure the change within the individual, one must choose the right unit for analysis, appropriate to what one wants to examine. This isn't relegated to activity, but can include it.

I do not mean to spark a flame here. Please permit me to have a little artistic license in making comparisons. At the same time, please feel free to point out any limits in my comparisons or whether I am mistaken in my understandings.

This kind of reminds me of LSV's The Historical Meaning of the Crisis in Psychology (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/crisis/index.htm__;!!Mih3wA!VRmqIdBHdE28Ro3v8ezyT6nj9Wr21p58CGwwKnD2JxdiNagIy3sB65jFU9SLffmi34VtIg$ )

Which now I am recognizing and remembering had to do with Vygotsky coming to terms with structuralism of the 19th century and the functionalism of the early 20th.  I feel the need to reread that essay.

As I'm reflecting...and framing... James based his theory upon Darwin's, that functions of mind are operational tendencies derived (arising from) from our biology, right?

The structuralist camp (I presume starting with Freud) state that one understands mind by evaluating the contents of introspection and subjective experience.

But getting back to David's discussion of emotion: One cannot divide Spinoza's ideas into parts out of convenience, is the issue I have, if James and Lange do as you say, David.

Emotions come from somewhere.

Emotion is the uniting key to mind and body, and didn't Vygotsky think so too and isn't that why he looked to Spinoza for guidance.

Emotion is unification of mind and body, in terms of self-preservation and survival.

Further, and I assert this philosophically, emotions can't be higher or lower, so I'm having a problem with that framing. They can be different, they can be more pronounced or subtle, but I don't see the justification of saying that negative emotions are lower while positive ones are higher (if that is the way in which higher and lower are defined concerning functional differences between emotions). In this sense this goes along with David's observation that one can't make distinctions between emotion arising from life events and emotion arising from medicinal substances.

I don't think it makes Vygotsky a structuralist. I think it makes him a vygotskianist, or possibly a spinozanist. I'm not sure what "vygotsky" means in the Russian, but "spinoza" means "thorn" and this does seem to be a thorny debate. "Baruch" or "Benedict" meant "Blessed one."

Thus Spinoza is a "good thorn" for all of us to pick out.

Imagine what our own perezhivanie is for that!

Kind regards,

Annalisa