[Xmca-l] Prehistory of Written Language????

Larry Smolucha lsmolucha@hotmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:09:48 PDT 2020

>From Francine:

To Michael Cole,  et. al

Hoping that you might help me clarify the publication history of Vygotsky's manuscript "The Prehistory of Written Language."

Did it originate in 1928/1929 as a lecture or unpublished paper or publication?

Was it published as a chapter in The History of the Development of Higher Mental Functions in 1931?

Then was it published again in 1935 in The Mental Development of Children During Education.

It was included as the last chapter in Mind in Society in 1978.

Perhaps David Kellogg knows something about its history.

Need to know for a publication - I have been asked to contribute the chapter on Vygotsky, as a Pioneer in Psychology.  (I will be going down to my basement archives to look at xeroxes of the Russian texts.)

Hope everyone stays in good health, we have been fortunate so far.