[Xmca-l] Re: Red medicine

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:00:23 PDT 2020

and of particular relevance to the present moment (from David's text) is
this little blurb that can point us to an early articulations of deficit
theories (...tuberculosis as a disease inherited by the poor - very
relevant right now as we'll see in the next few months as the US "economy"
"opens up" and the poor in our country are exposed to this virus (while
others continue to walk around saying "what virus?")):

"Robert Heinrich Hermann Koch (1843 – 1910) was a German doctor and
professor at Berlin University. In 1882 he discovered the bacteria that
causes tuberculosis, which at the time was a “White Plague” that killed one
in seven Germans. Before Koch, people believed that TB was inherited
(because it was overwhelmingly a disease of the poor). Koch proved that
this was not true and even isolated the protein substance which appeared to
cause death, which he called tuberculin. He set up a private company and
attempted to make tuberculin into a cure for the disease, but failed and
went bankrupt, largely because death from tuberculosis is also due to
environmental factors and not simply constitutional ones. Tuberculin is
still used to diagnose tuberculosis (e.g. in the Mantoux test)."

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor