[Xmca-l] Re: As of 2020, the American Century is Over

Helena Worthen helenaworthen@gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 09:29:35 PDT 2020

I have been circulating Andy’s paper among close friends and family to generate discussion. What is mostly coming back is confirmation of the general arc, with examples from personal experience, but some disagreement about cause. These are “inside” views — meaning, people who are US citizens talking about us, so these are experiences of the passing of an era and what they look like from inside.

About a year ago I realized that, for better or worse, I identify as “an American.” And I don’t mean North American.

Chris Appy’s book, American Reckoning, is a pretty good history that takes us from the 1940s up to Obama and tracks the hole we fell into with the Vietnam War. For people of my generation (BA 1965 — and I mention that date rather than when I was born because 1965 connects to the draft, the lottery, the anti-war demonstrations, the asssinations, etc etc) the story told with the Vietnam War in the foreground connects very tightly to lived experience.

Helena Worthen
helenaworthen.wordpress.com <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://helenaworthen.wordpress.com/__;!!Mih3wA!XcU8579mWywdcqmeoxsBIaoTABjB8vxuTp-FZ_h915atZxyYeLjUQ1UM07fCEHDwYqVKSQ$ >