[Xmca-l] Re: Covid as World Perezhivanie?

Martin Packer mpacker@cantab.net
Mon Apr 27 07:51:49 PDT 2020

Some further reflections on this seemingly alarming ‘prediction’...

This expert is asked how many people could be infected in 18 months in the US. His reply is “probably 30-50%.”  Based on what? The infection rate depends on the degree of contact among people. The death rate (claimed to be 1%) depends on the quality and quantity of health care that is available.
Is the infection rate 50% in Australia? In new Zealand? Apparently not.

Is 1.7 million a large number? Yes, but 350 million — the population of the US — is also a large number.
And no one is suggesting that the virus could continue to kill 1.7 million every year!
The figures stated in this interview are apparently estimates for 18 months. If 1.7 million die in 18 months, around a million would die in a year. (In fact the rate would not be linear, but for these rough estimates that’s not too important.)
So covid could kill around 1 million each year for, what, two or three years? By then, infections would drop rapidly as immunity builds.

According to the CDC, in the US there are annual deaths of 600,000 for cardiac disease and 600,000 for cancer. Every year! Those are large numbers too but most of us don’t give them much thought.
So in ten years, covid could kill 3 million people, while ordinarily 12 million people would die of these two kinds of illness alone.

We need to keep the numbers in perspective!

Martin