[Xmca-l] Re: COVID-19 Forecasting Tournament

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Fri Apr 24 17:46:34 PDT 2020

Anthony, I have read Phil Tetlock's book and found it very
interesting. I had already gathered that you had read and
liked the book as well. There is a lot to be said for the
kind of discipline Tetlock suggests. I don't have the book
in front of me at the moment, but I seem to recall (perhaps
you can verify this) that in the last chapter or two he says
that there are transformative events which are essentially
unpredictable in both their occurrence and their catharsis.
The COVID pandemic one of these - a lot of people were
saying over the past few years that the world was "due"
another serious pandemic and that we were unprepared, but
no-one can claim to have predicted this pandemic, let alone
its final outcome a decade from now. Just as almost no-one
predicted the collapse of the USSR or the outbreak of WW1.

/Perezhivanie /are essentially unpredictable experiences of
this type. Which is why I have been relatively restrained in
making predictions about where it will go. I don't even try
to predict that it will be cured by the use of malaria drugs.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
Hegel for Social Movements <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://brill.com/view/title/54574__;!!Mih3wA!Q7jv7wgSUDQ3HL4BeRICk5ZLycnt_x0TlHSIPRtKWlGxNhTNBpkksqwkkQnZgMjDwzpOwA$ >
Home Page <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm__;!!Mih3wA!Q7jv7wgSUDQ3HL4BeRICk5ZLycnt_x0TlHSIPRtKWlGxNhTNBpkksqwkkQnZgMiRWRu00A$ >