[Xmca-l] Re: COVID-19 Forecasting Tournament

Martin Packer mpacker@cantab.net
Fri Apr 24 13:06:27 PDT 2020

Anthony,

Your question happens to coincide with some ongoing reflections on my part, and my conclusion has been that prediction here is not easy.

1. the pandemic is a black swan: an unlikely event with large consequences. These are by nature difficult to predict and so when they occur their consequences are also hard to anticipate.

2. the lack of adequate planning means that achieving desired outcomes is uncertain

3. outcomes will depend on human decisions and choices, which themselves are notoriously hard to predict

4. outcomes also depend on scientific and technological advances whose character and timing cannot be known in advance

But Tetlock’s chimps may know more than I do.

cheers

Martin