[Xmca-l] Re: As of 2020, the American Century is Over

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Wed Apr 22 18:21:43 PDT 2020

Anthony, I mainly rely on the ABC (the Australian
Broadcasting Corporation), widely accepted as the most
trusted source of news and analysis in Australia, run by
professional journalists, and independent of Rupert Murdoch.
The NYT has a pay wall and CNN is not available here.

As Alfredo notes, it is no news to anyone here that reality
is in the eye of the beholder, and the world's experience
with the tolerance of Americans for Trump is the greatest
evidence of this truism one could ask for.

My perceptions are conditioned by living in a country which
had its first cases about the same time as America and we
were in an exponential rise doubling every 3.5 days, like
New York, in early March, but wonder or wonders our Prime
Minister, who is one of the handful of Trump-admirers in
Australian politics - changed!! Apart from some rather
vindicative exclusions of foreign workers and casuals from
the economic survival package, he has given ideal
leadership, possibly because he immediately created a new
body called the "National Cabinet" which included all the
state Premiers (majority Labor) and collaborated with
stakeholders rather than legislating or issuing orders. All
decisions have been made collaboratively and in public. The
result was that trust in government has been magically
restored and we are down to *single figures* of new cases
per day. Our hospitals are quiet places.

It is an open question whether Scott Morrison will "win" the
next election; that will depend on how he acts as
restrictions are lifted, I imagine, but that is absolutely
the last criterion on which he will be judged by the
Australian people and history. (c.f. Winston Churchill).

When I have made errors in judgment over the past months, it
has always been my consistent underestimation of the
tolerance of Americans for lies and stupidity. But that will
not stop me from continuing to make the same mistake and
remaining optimistic for the future. Though I agree with
Mike: there will be suffering.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
Hegel for Social Movements <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://brill.com/view/title/54574__;!!Mih3wA!UdbPxUu2xrRvkqJFMkhqvGcbnH0KIgpgfOlvzVVzRHnIO0tF08x45tk0WNZyheKsosRa4Q$ >