[Xmca-l] Re: As of 2020, the American Century is Over

Julian Williams julian.williams@manchester.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 14:53:12 PDT 2020

Anthony, again!

Let me help you here, pace NYTimes:

If this turns out to be true:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/opinion/coronavirus-us-cases.html__;!!Mih3wA!Thq9B70VblZGnM99BEs5fxyBiyx97KDn0R9wlp73fmmP0mjgmwrrrWhj7ft2MsVP3DzE-Q$
The number of new cases appears to have peaked about a week and a half ago. But the decline since then has been very modest. There are still about 30,000 Americans being diagnosed each day. The seven-day moving average of new cases — a measure that smooths out daily fluctuations — has declined only 2 percent since it peaked 11 days ago.
As you can see that’s not typical. In other countries, the number of new cases has usually declined much more sharply after peaking.
Why? It’s impossible to know for certain with a virus as complex and unknown as this one. But there is an obvious potential cause: Many political leaders in the United States, including President Trump, are not following the advice of public health experts regarding distancing..

and this turns out to be true:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/us/politics/coronavirus-china-disinformation.html?referringSource=articleShare__;!!Mih3wA!Thq9B70VblZGnM99BEs5fxyBiyx97KDn0R9wlp73fmmP0mjgmwrrrWhj7ft2MsWUak6XMw$
American officials were alarmed by fake text messages and social media posts that said President Trump was locking down the country.

Then there is a possibility that dissent in the US that could lead to the nightmare scenario of ongoing very high levels of transmission for some time to come.

I can’t make up my mind from what you write - which is always incredibly arch -  whether you are suggesting the Trump administration is playing a clever game in encouraging these deathly trends, in view of the much more important outcome of victory in your upcoming elections.

Julian, again!

BTW this is not an anti American rant, as we have the same crass ‘leadership’ over here: check out John Ashton on DDN (Double Down News) – this is indeed a global politics now, perhaps just in time too.