[Xmca-l] Re: FW: Unbelievable: number 19th strain according to Fox News?

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 20:47:56 PDT 2020

Bonnie,

I like your suggestions very much (I finally got to read them just now
since they didn't come through to my email at first).

I find your suggestion about CHAT approaches to personality to be
particularly interesting (as long as we place it in a Marxian lineage
rather than a lineage of Western personality psychology - I assume that the
former is at least close to what you meant?). How personalities (perhaps
"personas"?) can emerge in different times and given different relations to
production (and in different regimes of production). To your description of
neoliberal entrepreneurs, I would add the anxiety that has become oh so
commonplace - anxious, always anxious - about everything from grades to
test scores to post-collegiate jobs (think about facing that right now).
Psycho-precarity is a constant state of existence for these budding
neoliberal "entrepreneurs". So yes, by all means, surfer personalities
would be a nice corrective. And skateboarder personalities. And punks. And
knitters (that's so punk!). and bakers, and carpenters, and so on.

[Let me know if I'm off here but it sounded like you were flagging a
classically (sorry I'm not using this as a term of art - I'm not that
sophisticated!) Marxist concern with consciousness and the ways that
consciousness is mediated by our relation to the means of production. And
then also a more specific concern with the idea of false consciousness that
develops from that.]

Also, I wonder if you would agree with me (and, by my reading, Marx) that
neoliberalism (capitalism) is also what brings us together? The global
flows that have been enabled by neoliberalism are yes quite bad in the
sense that they made the spread of this virus possible. But these flows
also mean that we are coming close to what Andy has called a
world-perezhivanie - an experience the world over of something close to the
"same" thing (even if there are massive inequalities in terms of death and
infection that will follow the massive inequalities set up by
neoliberalism). Perhaps this is a morbid thought, but might this be an
opportunity for beginning to realize a kind of global community that Marx
imagined? And yes, I agree, I find it hard to be hopeful about this
possibility (my mind goes straight to imagining us Americans gawking at the
death tolls in other countries - partly elated that we didn't post the
worst numbers of infections and deaths (as we are right now) and partly
glad that it isn't happening here and partly ignorant/uncaring about the
suffering of others when life remains good here).

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor