[Xmca-l] Re: FW: Unbelievable: number 19th strain according to Fox News?

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 14:46:07 PDT 2020

One local cultural-historical question, perhaps relevant to this list
serve, is Raised by the fact that in the US there are large numbers of
people who are complicit with Trump's tyranny. And it seems that there is
no reasoning with them; anything other than what Trump says is presumed to
be #fakenews (and, of course, there are enough examples of bad reporting
and biased coverage (#bernie) that make these claims at least partly
credible). Add to that the fact that we live in media cocoons where we
consume only that which is pleasing to us and I think we have the basis for
something like a Civil War here in the U.S. (too dramatic?).

I'd love to hear advice/counsel from folks who have lived through this kind
of thing in the past. How do these things get resolved? what kinds of
actions are needed/essential? (I heard one historian say that, historically
speaking, it takes about 5-6 years before the magic of political charlatans
begins to wear off - he predicted that with Trump, the reaction will be
violent - although this would of course put that violent revival a year or
so into Trump's second term).

It seems like this list serve could be a great resource for thinking big
about this historical moment in ways that get beyond just calling people
names (And not to downplay the value of name-calling, it is a very common
way of establishing in-group solidarity, but I get plenty of that on
Facebook - in fact that's about all I get on Facebook and it seems to have
had little, perhaps even a negative impact since it has emboldened
Trumpistas even more to point out how intolerant and ignorant liberals are!
(and to be sure, Trumpistas are a whiny lot!)).

Anyway, I love CHAT’s long view of thinking about social historical
processes across the long Duree and how our present moment fits into this
so that we can try to answer the question: What is to be done? (Isn’t that
about what Marx was up to?).

But maybe that is too big a project for a listserve? perhaps the best we
could do is to take a look back at Marx?

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor