[Xmca-l] Re: Love in the time of corona

robsub@ariadne.org.uk robsub@ariadne.org.uk
Tue Apr 14 09:47:14 PDT 2020

For what it's worth here are a few thoughts on creating online
activities. I don't think there is a one size fits all answer because
students (as well as teachers!) come from all sorts of different
cultures with all sorts of different expectation about community. But I
hope that some of my suggestions will work broadly - my hope is based on
my background, which is in the competitive individualist west, where the
biggest problem about learning communities is getting out of students'
heads the idea that any kind of collaboration is tantamount to collusion
and will be punished with the utmost severity. (I find I have had to
work at getting that out of a lot of teachers' heads as well.) So
basically, if it works on my students, there is a good chance that it
will work elsewhere.

I don't think you should work at community directly. it is something
best sneaked up on in the course of other activity. But the other
activity has to be carefully and artfully constructed. That's one of
many reasons why you don't make an online course by chucking offine
material on to the web.

There are two aspects - being online and working together. Being online
will be a challenge for many students. A lifetime of texting,
Snapchatting, Tiktoking, and ordering your clothes, holidays and pizza
over the internet does not prepare people for using an online learning
environment. So you have to expect people to be clueless to start with.
But you should act as if this is an entirely natural environment right
from the start. You need to make it their assumption that they will be
working together every week if not more often. You need to make it their
assumption that if they're live online, they will see and hear each
other. It's astonishing in some of the courses I've seen how many
students have microphones that don't work :-)

So design your teaching and your assessment work to perhaps enforce,
certainly encourage, working together. The more they work together, the
more a sense of community will grow. In my environment, students follow
the marks, even the disengaged ones. if there are marks available for
collaborative activities, they will do them. They will do them with less
or more of a sense of engagement, but the hope is that as they get used
to them, students will recognise the intrinsic rewards as well as the
extrinsic ones.

I don't know what your assessment strategy will be. The standard at the
OU is a series of assignments roughly once a month over a nine month
course. Each assignment should contain some kind of collaborative
element. Even the simplest will do - quote two substantial and
meaningful posts you have written in the online forum. There is plenty
of room for interpretation of "substantial and meaningful" but you get
the idea.

Then you work up to them working in teams to produce, say, an annotated
bibliography on a specific topic, or a powerpoint on something.And you
can assess the way they work together in a forum to produce this. Sounds
daunting - I've done it, works easier than you think.

If you're working with them live, give them opportunities to work
together on exercises or issues. Even if there are only two of them, put
them in a breakout room together. Without you there, they have to talk
to each other.

Incorporate exercises like "how am I doing?" Get students to assess
their own progress against the learning outcomes of the course, and
discuss with each other. You could give them an exercise after working
on it individually, to come to a combined ranking of the two or three
bits of the course that they most need to revisit. (Which you obviously
then revisit, and get the students who think they're Ok on it to teach
the others.)

I have so much more to say. I could write a book, as you can tell. I'd
be very happy to give more detail, perhaps off-list.

Final thought: people often compare ftf and online communities by
different standards. Ftf communities all have weaknesses and failings
but because they're familiar, we assume they're working. Because online
communities are new and unfamiliar, we tend to see all their faults and
weaknesses and judge them by standards that we don't apply to the ftf world.

Rob