[Xmca-l] Re: Love in the time of corona

Julian Williams julian.williams@manchester.ac.uk
Mon Apr 13 14:36:51 PDT 2020

Lois

Like this very much about love (and also for students and teachers please, even if equivocal about the reference to ‘wealth’ – I presume this refers to the workers and not capital).

It feels very aligned with the NHS support here in UK, indeed (lots of weekly spoon-banging and clapping) – even while we discover that front line carers’ voices are being suppressed by their own management bureaucrats. Not so sure about “When this is past…”: as I see it, this won’t ever be quite ‘past’ – we will see what or who is “past” in a while.

Staffs in A&E/NHS wards who go public about lack of PPE are being suspended or threatened with suspension and a culture of fear being imposed – if they are fired they will have no special entitlement to anything but the paltry starvation support (here £95 p.w.)  for heaven’s sake. Some have even quit so they don’t face death working without proper kit.

We should be (many are)  incandescent with rage about our governments’ inaction, delay, and criminal carelessness  …

Julian

From: <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Lois Holzman <lholzman@eastsideinstitute.org>
Date: Monday, 13 April 2020 at 22:00
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Love in the time of corona

Expanding on love, thanks to Alfredo's inquiry, I send this with permission from the Global Play Brigade.
Lois

Ode To Our Frontline Workers

Global Play Brigade, April 12, 2020

Co-created online and on the spot by performance activists in Nepal, Israel, the UK, Nicaragua, Greece, Mexico, Denmark, Pakistan, the US, Spain, Belgium, South Africa

To all of you who have come to take care of us

To all of you who keep fighting

We are in awe of your perseverance

What can we give you, what can we do, how can we express our love

We are here for you as you are there for us

You give of yourselves everything you can, we want to give of ourselves whatever we can

We are committed to keep giving to you even after the pandemic leaves us

We will work for the transformation that your gift deserves

When this is past, we will all recognize what labor is actually important

We will remember that frontline workers are not just in the hospitals

But all the jobs that have built and continue to build the wealth and conditions from which we all thrive

We will find you, we will see you, we will be there with you

You are forever in our hearts, in our minds, in our words, in our souls

You are the candle saving the light

Illuminating us in this dark moment

We will create power so you can have all that you need

to make this world equitable and decent for every human being

We thank you, as frontline cultural workers, we are here for you, to serve you

(And if you want to see it get created.<https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgxwHMjvLPmpfVjzgdSPxXNWHJcZC?projector=1>..