[Xmca-l] Re: General check-in?

Helena Worthen helenaworthen@gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 15:07:20 PDT 2020

Hi, David — on this list I use my academic U of Illinois email, which still works,  but we don’t live there — we left Illinois in 2010. Artin Goncu just responded in this list — maybe he can tell us what he sees in Illinois.  Artin, you’re in Chicago, aren’t you?

We left Viet Nam about a year ago. The labor law there was changing (pulling more power into the center, but also strenthening local representation) and our department was changing to become more of a HR and Business Administration department. I don’t know if Uyen or Dinh ever joined this list; they participated in the CHAT Re-Gen discussions, Uyen (Sally) as a student in HoChiMinh City and Dinh from his afterschool program (based on Vygotskian concepts) in Phan Rang. They might speak up if they can —I’ll nudge them by copying them.

Joe and I are in a bubble in Berkeley, CA in an old residential neighborhood with lots of walking paths and good fruit and vegetable stores.  We just did a 3rd draft of our book on contingency in higher ed. We’ve been touched by the wildfires (one county to the north) that covered us with stinky smoke for a couple of weeks last fall, and by the various droughts that resulted in water rationing, etc. but these were all geographically local and we could walk or drive away from them and pretend it didn’t really happen. As compared to this. I swing back and forth between feeling joyful to see deer in the street and hear birds singing and other signs of less traffic and pollution — and on the other hand, becoming aware of two kinds of grief, one because of individuals who have died or who are vulnerable and  probably will die, the second because of the challenge of imagining what kind of world the  next generation will live in, and what will be lost to them because we were never able to communicate it well enough.  I find myself imagining the emotions of Jewish families in Europe as the menace of facism became clearer, and those of the indigenous people of California — the Miwok, for example, and the Chochenyo, who lived right here where I am now — and saw their languages disappearing as their population was killed and dispersed.

This second kind of grief seems to be something people can talk about - it’s collective, cultural. Not unrelated to this list!

Finally, David, since you encouraged me to write: yesterday our son-in-law went grocery shopping for us at an enormous food emporium and brought home three large cucmbers, four ripe tomatoes of middle size, and a plastic bag of hearts of romaine.  How much did it cost?  $18.00.

With best wishes to all — Helena Worthen
helenaworthen@gmail.com <mailto:helenaworthen@gmail.com>
hworthen@illinois.edu