[Xmca-l] Re: Trust and Science

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Mon Sep 30 09:01:55 PDT 2019

On critique of capitalist ethics: this has long been a
concern of mine. I argue that "collaborative ethics" is the
ethics that arises as the negation of the ethics of
bourgeois society, and its founding principles were
announced in the founding documents of the First
International in 1864 and are immanent in the labour movement.
I argue this here:
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/pdfs/Collaborative%20Ethics.pdf

I find Greg's argument about changing attitudes within the
corporations believable. It must be remembered that climate
denial is not an economically 'self-interested' position for
capital as a whole, only for one section of capital, that
based on fossil fuels and a range of similar industries. The
insurance industry is going crazy over climate change, and
advanced manufacturing stand to do very well out of
emissions reduction and mitigation. So there is a struggle
within the bourgeoisie over this. It makes sense that the
Tories in the UK, who shut down coal decades ago, btw, and
who are mainly involved with finance capital, don't have
much reason to deny anthropogenic climate change.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
Hegel for Social Movements <https://brill.com/view/title/54574>
Home Page <https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm>