[Xmca-l] Re: Trust and Science

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 22:37:54 PDT 2019

Alfredo,

I appreciate your generosity in reading/responding as well as your
forthrightness (without which, conversation can feel a bit empty). And I
entirely respect and appreciate your position.

One point of clarification: on the relativism front I was simply making a
statement of fact, capitalism provides a framework that people use to make
ethical judgments. I wasn't suggesting that capitalism is ethical. I might
add that as an anthropologist I believe that it is possible to judge
beliefs and practices but that this can only be done after a deep
understanding of the entire context of those beliefs and practices. I've
had a lot of experience with capitalism and I'm pretty comfortable saying
that, to my mind, capitalism is unethical and that it provides a rather
unfortunate grounding for ethics and morality. (and you'll notice that this
leads me directly to what I was chiding you for - an argument about the
false consciousness of the proponents (pushers?) of capitalism!!).

And I agree with Andy about the important contributions of others in this
thread but I'm lacking the bandwidth to adequately acknowledge/engage right
now.

And still wondering if we could hear more from/about Vaedboncoeur and her
work? Maybe there is a publication that someone could point us to?
Beth Ferholt's work seems quite relevant as well.
(but perhaps this thread is a bit too tiresome?).

Very best,
greg