[Xmca-l] Re: Trust and Science

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@ils.uio.no
Sun Sep 29 07:37:00 PDT 2019

Andy,

I see and Greg’s point. I can see that not everyone denying climate change is necessarily a “bad” person or the evil in and of themselves.

However, I cannot agree with the statement that “everyone acts because they think it right to do so”. I’ve done (and keep doing) enough stupid (and wrong!) things in my life to be convinced of the falsehood of that statement. That statement, in my view, would ONLY apply to (a) instances in which people indeed ponder/consider what they are about to do before they do it, and (b) the nature of their pondering is in fact ethical.

Should we refer to Exxon corporate decision-makers who initiated misinformation campaigns to cast doubt on climate science as psychopaths (as per your definition)? Would that be fair to people with actual pathologies? I’d rather call them criminals.

You seem to assume (or I misread you as assuming) that all actions are taken based on a pondering on what is right or wrong, even when that pondering has not taken place. First, I don’t think we always act based on decision-making. Second, not every decision-making or pondering may consider ethical dimensions of right or wrong. I invite you to consider how many people among those who deny the climate science has actually gone through an ethical pondering when they “choose” to deny the science. My sense is that most deniers do not “choose,” but rather enact a position that is, in the metaphorical terms that the author of the article that Anne-Nelly has shared uses, in the air they breath within their communities. I am of the view that exercising ethics, just as exercising science denial in the 21st century, is engaging in a quite definite historical practice that has its background, resources, and patterns or habits. I think that if we exercised (practiced) more of ethics, science denial would be less of a “right” choice. That is, decision-making is a sociocultural endeavor, not something an individual comes up with alone. Sometimes we cannot choose how we feel or react, but we can choose who we get together to, the types of cultures within which we want to generate habits of action/mind.

We cannot de-politicize science, for it is only in political contexts that science comes to effect lives outside of the laboratory. But we can generate cultures of critical engagement, which I think would bring us closer to your option (3) at the end of your e-mail when you ponder whether/how to disentangle bipartisanism and scientific literacy. I don’t think then relativism (that you act ethically or not depending on what you think it’s right or not, independently of whether great amounts of suffering happen because of your actions) is what would thrive. Rather, I believe (and hope!) *humanity* would thrive, for it would always ponder the question Dewey posed when considering why we should prefer democracy over any other forms of political organization, such as fascism:

“Can we find any reason that does not ultimately come down to the belief that democratic social arrangements promote a better quality of human experience, one which is more widely accessible and enjoyed, than do nondemocratic and antidemocratic forms of social life? Does not the principle of regard for individual freedom and for decency and kindliness of human relations come back in the end to the conviction that these things are tributary to a higher quality of experience on the part of a greater number than are methods of repression and coercion or force?” (Dewey, Experience and Education, chapter 3).

Please, help me see how Exxon leaders considered any of these when they chose to deny the science, and thought it was right. I know voters did not “choose” in the same way (Exxon staff trusted the science, indeed!). But it is back there where you can find an explanation for climate change denial today; it is in the cultural-historical pattern of thinking they contributed engineering, along with political actors, and not in the individual head of the person denying that you find the explanation.

Alfredo
From: <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Andy Blunden <andyb@marxists.org>
Reply to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sunday, 29 September 2019 at 15:28
To: "xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Trust and Science

Alfredo, I think Greg's point is basically right, that is, everyone acts because they think it right to do so. The only exception would be true psychopaths. The issue is: why does this person believe this is the right thing to do and believe that this is the person I should trust and that this is the truth about the matter?

Take Darwinian Evolution as an example. In the USA, this question has been "politicised," that is, people either accept the science or not according to whether they vote Democrat or Republican. There are variants on this, and various exceptions, but for the largest numbers belief in the Bible or belief in the Science textbook are choices of being on this side or the other side. This is not the case in many other countries where Evolution is simply part of the Biology lesson.

In the UK, Anthropogenic climate change is not a Party question  either. People believe it whether they vote Tory or Labour. Still, how much people change their lives, etc., does vary, but that varies according to other issues; it is not a Party question.

In Australia, Anthropogenic climate change is a Party question, even though this year right-wing political leaders no longer openly scorn climate science, but everyone knows this is skin deep. But like in the UK, Evolution is not a partisan question and eve the right-wing support public health (though it was not always so).

The strategic questions, it seems to me are: (1) is it possible to break a single issue away from the partisan platform, and for example, get Republicans to support the teaching of Biology and sending their kids to science classes with an open mind? Even while they still support capital punishment and opposed abortion and public health? Or (2) Is it possible to lever a person away from their partisan position on a scientific or moral question, without asking for them to flip sides altogether? or (3) Is it easier to work for the entire defeat of a Party which opposes Science and Humanity (as we see it)?

Andy

Andy Blunden
Hegel for Social Movements<https://brill.com/view/title/54574>
Home Page<https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm>