[Xmca-l] Re: Question on Imagination

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Thu Sep 26 08:27:25 PDT 2019

This is interesting to me as I am wondering if there is a differentiation between imagination and being open to new possibilities and what relationship this has to how we education. Last week we were reading Vygotsky’s writings on early human thinking is a seminar. He said something that really struck me. It was about the difference in how we might treat teaching to track a bear. For early man it might be teaching all the details so you could recreate the hunt of the bear using the tracks. For more modern thinking it might be more about using the track to tell the story of a hunt for a bear opening up a new possibility for things that might happen. Both have their advantages. For the former you have a more detailed and direct instruction of what you are supposed to do. For the latter you are open to new possibilities as new circumstances might make the hunt more complex in ways you are not anticipating so you are open to learning new tools in sign operation or more likely in sign co-operation. A student actually asked, is this the same thing as imagination, actually bringing up the idea of having an imaginary friend. I did not know how to answer. Is being able to think about things in an open manner and able to co-operate in  creating new tools and symbols the same thing as imagination. When a write sits down to write or a director stages a play or an artist creates a painting is it the same thing as working towards a new tool and symbol? I mean that may also be a goal of the artist but is it the same thing? And we often treat imagination as a force to be unleashed, but does it have to do more with the way we education?

Questions running around my head.

Michael

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of Laure Kloetzer
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:54 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Question on Imagination

Hi Shannon and all,

I am also very interested if you can share all feedbacks you get on this topic, Shannon.
Recently, we began organizing science fiction workshops with students to "extricate the future" - betting that imagination, exploring alternative possible worlds, is a necessary path to free the future from its ready-made, unavoidable clothes massively sold by multinationals and goverments. On going work, with quite interesting insights, esp. on how difficult it is to link imagination and political change.
Also here in Neuchâtel, one of Tania Zittoun's doctoral student is working on close topics (imagination and political utopia).
Finally, I think that Manolis Dafermos, or some of his colleagues and friends, made a movie with young people in Greece on overcoming the crisis, but I can not find it now, sorry...
Best regards,
LK