[Xmca-l] Re: Hegelian sources of CHAT

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Sat Sep 21 18:03:44 PDT 2019

Yes, for all his faults I regard Leontyev's Activity Theory
as an integral part of "Cultural Historical Activity
Theory." But Hegel, Marx, Vygotsky, Leontyev, none of them
are infallible or beyond criticism.

I stand by my surprising finding that Vygotsky never read
Hegel, and Semyon Dobkin's testimony is the sole documentary
evidence to the contrary, but as I say in that 2009 article,
Dobkin's recollections are not be taken at face value. If
anything, what he actually says is further evidence that
Vygotsky only knew Hegel secondhand. But what second hands!
We are still waiting for your prophecy of  Vygotsky's
annotations on the Phenomenology turning up in his archives.

The 2009 paper traces every comment by Vygotsky about Hegel
(bar maybe one or two) back to a secondary source. As I say
there it is possible that Vygotsky read a passage by Hegel
in the small section of the Philosophy of Subjective Spirit
entitled "Psychology." And I suggest that his Hegelianism
dates mainly from 1930 with earlier writings exhibiting
distinct unfamiliarity with Hegel.

Which leaves us with the question of whether Leontyev ever
read Hegel. The implications of this for documentary
research reach light years beyond my capacities. There is no
evidence in his most famous writings, the ones I have read,
and as you, plenty of evidence that he did not understand
Hegel. The only one of the 4 concepts which is uniquely
Leontyev's is the actions/activities distinction and it is
likely (in my opinion) that he discovered this
independently, with the guidance of Marx and Vygotsky at
hand. If it were my purpose, I could just as easily write an
essay on the differences between Leontyev's Activity Theory
and Hegel's Theory of Action. But that was not my purpose.

Looking forward to your comments on academia.edu, too,
David. Thank you.

Andy

https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/pdfs/Vygotskys-Hegelianism.pdf

*Andy Blunden*