[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: The protectors of the Amazon

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 14:25:12 PDT 2019

Sure, Henry--I'll try. And then you must explain to me about Epicurus and
atoms (I thought it was Democritus!)

I never liked the formulation "survival of the fittest": it always sounds
too much like "if you are so smart, how come you are not rich".

Darwin actually doesn't include "survival of the fittest" until (I think)
the fifth edition of "Origin of Species" in 1870, and it is originally from
Spencer (Herbert Spencer and not Herbert Spender Jennings), who is really
interested in "proving" that all humans are equal (in the good old American
sense of not recognizing noble blood) but some races are more equal to the
tasks imposed by the natural environment than others (in the good old
American sense of considering some humans racially consigned to hewing wood
and drawing water).  .

Darwin's original formulation was "modification through descent and natural
selection". Now, Darwin DID get this idea from Malthus. Malthus noted that
plants tended to reproduce at more or less replacement level, but animals,
including humans, tend to double or even triple with every generation. He
concluded that dearth and death were inevitable, unless the poor could be
taught to practice chastity and moral restraint (he was a parson, and the
clergy do spend a lot of time thinking about how not to think about sex).

Malthus was taken up by his students, the utilitarians (James Mill and his
son John Stuart), who used it to argue against famine relief in British
India. The argument was that if you provide famine relief, you are staying
Adam Smith's invisible hand and preserving races which naturally deserve to
die out and offer their land and resources at fire-sale prices to
those notable guardians of the environment, the British East India Company.
The direct result was millions of deaths from hunger, which only really
ended with Indian independence.

There were indirect results too, in the intellectual sphere which are still
more persistent. Mill was taken up by Spencer, who used it to argue against
public education, hygiene, post offices, and marrying George Eliot (who
was, Spencer felt, just intelligent enough but not sufficiently sexually
attractive, and this,for reasons he was not very good at explaining, was
disqualifying in women but not in men).

But of course it's not enough to say that Spencer was ugly, vain, and
unaware of his own true motives. The Mathusians were wrong--empirically
wrong, in precisely the way that Malthusians like to say that Marx was
proved wrong.

Darwin actually showed that Malthus was right--but only about bacteria,
paramecia, plants, and (some but not all) animals. Marx showed that
Malthusians were completely wrong about humans, because .humans have learnt
the trick of adapting the environment to their own needs: herding and
farming instead of hunting and gathering. Once humans have learnt this
trick, the Malthusian bet is off. On the contrary, we see that it's
precisely the societies that do care for the old, the sick, the weak, the
biologically least fit for survival which develop, societies which
do develop public education, hygiene, post offices and literature, which
are most capable of solving even the problems that troubled Malthus, Mill,
and Spencer, namely dearth, famine, and high birth rates.

One of the byproducts of turning the tables on the environment in this
way--adapting the environment to human needs instead of adapting human
needs to the environment--is certainly the kind of environmental
destruction we can see in the Amazon.  But another one is language, and
language does allow us to act on our own "nature", bringing the ideal into
the immediate and the real and adapting to that instead of simply
struggling directly with the real.

The Penan, in Borneo, became guardians of their forest not by hunting and
gathering but by trading and coming into confict with logging companies and
local farmers. Our own tribe, whatever you want to call it, preserves
hunting and gathering modes of production in only two domains, commercial
fisheries and strip mining. Neither domain is notable for its stewardship
of natural resources. So I don't think we are naturally born guardians
of the forest. But I do think that historico-culturally we can learn to be.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article:
Han Hee Jeung & David Kellogg (2019): A story without SELF: Vygotsky’s
pedology, Bruner’s constructivism and Halliday’s construalism in
understanding narratives by
Korean children, Language and Education, DOI: 10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663
To link to this article: https://doi.org/10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663

Some e-prints available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/KHRxrQ4n45t9N2ZHZhQK/full?target=10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663

public education, health services, post offices, hygiene et