[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: The protectors of the Amazon

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Tue Sep 17 22:56:26 PDT 2019

David, I seem to recall that Engels also took atoms to be an
unprovable hypothesis. The point for Hegel though is that
the question of atoms or not is not a philosophical
question, but one which can only be resolved by experiment,
and like Engels, he simply failed to imagine that such a
thing was possible. Einstein observed atoms c. 1905 via a
mathematical analysis of Brownian motion. Another great
philosopher, maybe you remember who, claimed that although
we could see the Sun, we could not, in principle, ever know
what it is made of. Optical spectrometry of course put an
end to that,

In general, Hegel underestimated the potential for expansion
of the domain of natural scientific and technical discovery.
But he updated his philosophy as new insights became
available, as we all do.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
Hegel for Social Movements <https://brill.com/view/title/54574>