[Xmca-l] Fwd: [COGDEVSOC] Position Availability at San Jose State University

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 9 20:16:36 PDT 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Emily Slusser <emily.slusser@sjsu.edu>
Date: Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 7:58 PM
Subject: [COGDEVSOC] Position Availability at San Jose State University
To: <cogdevsoc@lists.cogdevsoc.org>

*San José State University *- San José, California
*POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT*
*Subject to Budgetary Approval*

*Department: *Child and Adolescent Development
*Job ID (JOID):* 25142
*Specialization: *Language Development
*Rank: *Assistant Professor/ Tenure-Track

The Department of Child and Adolescent Development (ChAD) within the Connie
L. Lurie College of Education at San José State University invites
applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant
Professor. We seek candidates with research and teaching interests in
language development, including (but not limited to) bi/multilingualism;
contexts for language learning; interactions of language and culture;
language learning across development; atypical language development; and/or
the role of language in social, emotional, and/or cognitive development.
We are a team of dedicated teacher-scholars recognized for our commitment
to excellent teaching, engaging students in research projects, and
promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion in child and adolescent
development. The position involves teaching at the undergraduate and
graduate level, developing and maintaining an active research program, and
engaging in academic, and professional service. Applicants should
demonstrate awareness of and sensitivity to educational goals of a
multicultural population, a commitment to excellence in teaching and
scholarly activity, and an ability to work effectively with students,
faculty, and staff from a wide range of ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic
backgrounds.

*Required Qualifications:*
● Doctorate in Child and Adolescent Development or a related field by time
of appointment;
● Demonstrated potential for developing and maintaining a scholarly
research program;
● Commitment to excellence in teaching across a range of courses within the
department;
● Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills; and
● Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the
educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained
in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.

*Preferred Qualifications:*
● Research and teaching experience in language development.
● An interest in practical applications of research across various
educational contexts.
● Ability to work collaboratively across departments and disciplines.

*Responsibilities:*
● Teach a variety of undergraduate courses, and some Master’s level
graduate courses;
● Contribute to curriculum development and innovation;
● Mentor and support undergraduate and Master’s level graduate students;
● Actively engage in a program of research that contributes to the
discipline;
● Participate in shared governance at all levels of the university; and
● Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the
needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural
background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through
inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.

*Salary Range:* Commensurate with qualifications and experience.

*Starting Date: *August 13, 2020

*Eligibility: *Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work
in the United States.

*Application Procedure:* For full consideration, please submit the
following materials by October 1, 2019 to https://apply.interfolio.com/67889
● Letter of Application (Cover Letter)
● Curriculum Vitae
● Statement of Teaching (a two page description of personal teaching
philosophy/approach as well as interests in teaching existing ChAD courses)
● Statement of Research (a two page description of past and planned
research agenda)
● Diversity Statement (a one or two page description of experience working
with diverse populations and/or potential plans to promote equity,
inclusion, and diversity)
● Three (3) Letters of Reference (with contact information)

*Inquiries may be directed to:* Cara Maffini, Committee Chair, Department
of Child and Adolescent Development at cara.maffini@sjsu.edu .

*Please include Job Opening ID (JOID) on all correspondence.*

The faculty, students, staff, alumni, and partners of the Connie L. Lurie
College of Education are dedicated to creating meaningful, equitable, and
inclusive learning experiences for our diverse community. We take an
emancipatory stance in our teaching, research, and service activities. In
collaboration with our partners across campus and in the community, we
strive to make an impact by transforming our schools and shaping our
society to become just and democratic. Our Lurie College family includes
approximately 55 tenured / tenure-track faculty, 100 lecturers, 20 staff,
and 1,800 students across seven different departments. We are looking for
colleagues who are dedicated to critically engaging in their teaching and
research, who see strength in the diversity of our student community, and
who are committed to challenging themselves and the college as we seek to
grow and strengthen our work.

San José State University enrolls over 33,000 students, a significant
percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position
is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating
URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian
American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving
Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are
Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked fifth nationally in
increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to
increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and
the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.

San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public
higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart
of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in
the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic
teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students
to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the
23-campus California State University (CSU) system.

San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender
identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical
condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy
applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as
well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are
made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San
José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply
with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition
of employment. A background check (including a criminal records check) must
be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position
with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may
affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of
current CSU employees who apply for the position.

The latest San José State University Safety 101 Uniform Campus Crime and
Security Report is available. You may request a copy of San José State
University’s annual safety report by contacting the University Police
Department at (408) 924-2222 or by visiting the University Police
Department website at (http://www.sjsu.edu/police.)