[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel for Social Movements

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Sun Sep 1 06:30:11 PDT 2019

Glad you're enjoying it, David. I hope that I will have my
copies soon too! Both you and Helena have managed to get
copies before me!

Your questions: (1) Hegel does tend to deal with topics in
terms of the very end points and extremes, and this has
brought a lot of criticism and misunderstandings down on his
head, especially from our generation. Mainly I deal with it
by simply ignoring the passages of Hegel which go to God and
the Absolute Idea, World History and so on. I recently put
an article on my website and Hegel and Teleology, in which I
specifically advised people to read Hegel without obsessing
on these excesses. I should have put something to this
effect in the book. You are right there.

(2) Hegel's writing on language are in the Philosophy of
Subjective Spirit, and they are not very interesting, I
thought, in the context of linguistics today. But I can
imagine that if Linguistics was your thing, then reading the
Logic you would see Language everywhere. It is like that.
But my book is "Hegel for Social Movements" not "Hegel for
Linguists."

(3) I must have not made myself clear, David, somehow. Hegel
completely supported the Haitian Revolution and he was a
complete Realist in International Relations, which he called
"the animal kingdom of the spirit." He said states should
honour treaties that they have entered into, but that's all.
Quite confronting for the modern reader. It was Kant who
promoted a "United Nations" and Fichte who used recognition
of national sovereignty as a model for intersubjective
relations. For Hegel, there was nothing higher than the
nation state.

The term "immanent critique" actually dates from the
Frankfurt School. Hegel never used the term. But the Logic
is clearly the model of immanent critique. Hegel was
actually pretty dogmatic in how he critiqued his
contemporary protagonists.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm