[Xmca-l] Re: Does an exchange generate a profit?

Harshad Dave hhdave15@gmail.com
Fri May 24 21:42:51 PDT 2019

David K.,

I copy pest your reply and put my points in bracket.

 Yes, according to two criteria:

 [Here I presume that "Yes" means... such exchange generates profit on
either side but as per given two criteria.]

1. The time/labor taken by one party to produce the exchange unit exceeds
that of the other party who can then be said to be making a profit.

2. Production time is equal, but capital investment / skill level training
demanded by one party exceeds that of the other who therefore can be seen
as profiting off the investment of the other.

[I understand after going through above two points that above two points
are the parameters that influence the exchange ratio that finally gets
determined in an exchange process.]

Along with the original question

“Does this exchange process have possibility to generate a profit on either
side?”

One might also ask,

“What determines if this exchange is perceived by either party as being an
unequal exchange (i.e., as yielding a profit for one party)?” [At which
exchange ratio we shall label it as an *equal exchange*? If we are not
aware of or not in a position to determine an exchange ratio that puts the
exchange into the column of equal exchange then we will not be able to
determine if it is unequal.]

A critical element is history: If one party demands an increase from what
has historically been the exchange rate, this might be seen by the other
party as reaping unfair profits.

[It is the feeling of the either party as you say above. However, here we
discuss the out come of our contemplation on the exchange process.]

I think the only way to avoid the possibility of perceptions of unfairness
is when familial relations exist between the two parties, and the well being
of each to the other is as important as the well being of self. [To some
extent you are touching one more parameter that might influence the process
of determination of exchange ratio between fish and wheat.]

An alternative/variation of this at the societal level is an established
class ideology in which unequal benefit is seen as natural and/or as
necessary. [I feel.... unconsciously you are pointing towards some unknown
parameters that play a critical role to determine an exchange ratio between
two commodities and inflict inequality. You have treated (and accepted) the
same as class ideology as well as they are natural and /or necessary. This
is debatable but at present we shall not take it in our discussion as it
might divert our main line of discussion.]

Wish I knew more about this, and hope others will enlighten.

NB: Part of the reply you will find in my reply to Greg.

Harshad Dave