[Xmca-l] Re: A new book: Dialogic Pedagogy and Polyphonic Research Art: Bakhtin by and for Educators

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Fri May 24 12:30:27 PDT 2019

Ana,

Thank you so much for your very thoughtful description/explanation of
Ethical Ontological Dialogism. I know that by now you probably thought I
was avoiding your answer, but I've been trying to figure how to offer a
reasonable response to the feast that you put forward in your email and
trying to figure out how I might respond to your post in a manner consonant
with ethical ontological dialogism. I'm pretty sure I'll fail at the
latter, but feast I did.

I'm also curious if a medium like a listserve can brook the challenge of
slow replies - replies that don't come for days or even weeks. I'm always
surprised to see how quickly conversations come and go even in a (virtual)
place as thoughtful as XMCA. Perhaps this is a sign of the times; you can
find "dialogue" everywhere but seldom does it amount to much - whether
ethically (cf. the dialogical fires that regularly erupt in social media)
or ontologically (cf. the "dialogue" of talking heads on just about any
media outlet who are expected to instantly opine on subjects about which
they've had little time to think). The dialogues on XMCA are perhaps a bit
slower than some of these other "dialogues" but even here on XMCA it seems
the half-life of a comment is about 24 hours. So I'm wondering what a
slower listserve might look like and whether slow replies might perhaps be
a step toward what you have outlined as ethical ontological dialogism.

That's all just to say that I was delighted by your response (and the fact
that you took some time to respond) and I hope you'll forgive me for
multiplying that time in my response (and, of course, that last paragraph
could be seen as just an attempt to rationalize my failure to be a
responsible partner in dialogue...).

Anyway, as for the project itself, I find it quite exciting and
invigorating. It is a wonderfully interesting project to tease out the
implications of Bakhtin's work for teachers' practice and the way you have
outlined this in your email really sings to me.

If I were to ask questions about the project (and maybe some of these
answers are contained in the book - I've asked our library to order it), I
have two major questions that stand out. One has to do with sustainability
of these principles and the other has to do with the universality of them.

With regard to sustainability, along with David Kirshner's question: "Do
you not tremble at the selflessness that this posture demands?", I wonder
if this is the kind of thing that teachers in major public school systems
can easily sustain? Or is there something else that is needed in order to
be able to enable teachers to realize this kind of practice? What things
might need to change?

With regard to universalizability, I wonder if you have thought much about
the ideology of the subject that underlies this project? As much as the
project sings to me, I wonder how much of that is because it is based on an
ideology of the subject that resonates with me (I'm a fan of Bakhtin's
notion of the subject as articulated in Author and Hero in Aesthetic
Activity). As an anthropologist I have to ask the question: what if the
culture that you are working in requires acknowledgment of some fixed
characteristics of the subject being addressed, perhaps even as finalized
and finished categories? Relatedly, I wonder if there might not be need for
some awareness of patterns of difference whether developmental differences,
cultural differences, and other differences that are important to engage
with in order to engage in an EOD manner with others?

Put slightly differently, is it possible that recognizing pre-existing
persons as part of (fixed) pre-existing categories might be a necessary
part of an ethical ontological dialogism. In other words, is there some
other end of the spectrum opposite of a total rejection of these positive
categories and patterns that is necessary for an ethical ontological
dialogism? It seems that this positive categorization is a part of ethical
dialogical practice in much of our intimate encounters - whether the mother
anticipating the needs of a nursing child, a child anticipating their
parent's wishes (in Korea there is a term "nunchi" which is one of the most
fundamental ethical values of certain kinds of relationships and involves
the anticipation of the needs of significant others; importantly, these are
often in hierarchical relationships), a teacher designing a curriculum for
incoming students based on what little is known of their developmental age,
or the anticipatory removal of images of snakes by a man whose spouse is
ophidiophobic. Prediction as part of the anticipation of needs hardly seems
ethically problematic in these cases and, in fact, it seems to be exactly
the opposite.

I would think that this would also mean that the goal of psychology
-understanding others - has the potential to be a deeply ethical practice
in the EOD sense. The one caveat is that it shouldn't be seen as the final
word on any one subject - i.e., you can never fully "know" a person via the
categories that they might fit into.

If I may anticipate(!) your response, I assume that an EOD approach would
not avoid this but would simply be to emphasize that this is NOT the same
as using one's knowledge of the Other as a final determination - as a
determination of the Other's "essence and potential". That seems a critical
point.

A few other thoughts:

I can't help but see strong parallels between your critique of social
science research and the critique offered by Martin Packer in his book The
Science of Qualitative Research. Latour seems to be one of the main common
touchpoints, but thematically you are engaged in very similar projects -
the question of how to study "subjectivity" "objectively". The major
difference is that where you turn to Bakhtin's notion of unfinalizability,
he turns to Foucault's notion of an "historical ontology of ourselves".
Regardless of that, I see huge resonances between your work. And regardless
of those resonances, I imagine that bringing EOD to social science research
would be another angle to develop more substantially (if you haven't
already!).

Oh, and a question: what is "ontological" about EOD?

I have more thoughts but I think I've already said too much...

Once again, many thanks for your thoughtful and lengthy response. I look
forward to reading more.

Very best,
Greg