[Xmca-l] Re: New book on Ilyenkov

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed May 22 15:53:32 PDT 2019

That's really interesting, Ed. Thanks.  I never stopped to inquire what QED
mean't. I was
taught mathematics as a series of routines. Note that I might not have
picked that up from
Wikipedia.

"*Q.E.D.*" (sometimes written "*QED*") *is* an abbreviation for the Latin
phrase "quod erat demonstrandum" ("that which was to be demonstrated"), a
notation which *is* often placed at the *end* of a *mathematical proof* to
*indicate* its completion.

Your translation makes clear the mixing of participant observer/observant
participant in QED. Unfortunately,
I was the kind who often didn't "get" the demonstration and found tricks of
memory to keep things straight enough to pass tests.

mike