[Xmca-l] Re: New book on Ilyenkov

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Tue May 21 10:28:11 PDT 2019

Programming language ontologies are different to ontology in the
epistemological sense. They have a different basis, it is just a poor use
of wording -- a reduction, as with just about everything. The shared
meaning is about the basis of an object. But the object in a conventional
digital computing is a defined entity using a formal language rather than a
way of construing that entails action and understanding. To make things
simpler one can start with the meaning of "information". In standard
computing, this pertains to "useful data", but in the cybernetic sense it
is a verb, it is a process of informing, of changing the form -- a
difference that makes a difference.

There are certainly cybernetic ideas in computing, but they are not
coherently applied. The demise of higher profile cybernetics as a research
vehicle came about through funding being diverted into narrower forms of
research -- such as generations of investment into AI and the dull
computing we see everywhere. Cybernetics strikes through the digital/analog
world/model problem with one stroke, whereas standard computing is entirely
locked into formal models. Nevertheless, with care computing can be a
powerful tool within a project conceived on cybernetic principles.

The people behind these ideas were equally interesting in other areas.  It
is a shame that "culture" has reduced cybernetics to the kitsch.

Best,
Huw