[Xmca-l] Re: A new book: Dialogic Pedagogy and Polyphonic Research Art: Bakhtin by and for Educators

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu May 2 14:34:58 PDT 2019

Greg--I don't think your question should be ignored: it's a good one, and
besides I know that you are very interested in the way the worm
can ontological turn.

About five years ago, Fang and I went to the Fourth Interdisciplinary
Conference on the work of Bakhtin: Perspectives and Limitations. Like most
good conferences, there was, in the background, something of a theoretical
kerfuffle going on. "Ontological" Bakhtinians (Matusov, but also Ana
herself) made the case for dialogue on purely existential grounds: dialogue
is an essential condition of human life, and revealing this in pedagogy was
simply a matter of truth-telling. There is always dialogue in every
interaction, and ethically no dialogue can be hierarchical in its essence.
But the "epistemological" Bakhtinians (Rupert Wegerif, and at the time Fang
and myself) considered dialogue to be a way of knowing among other ways of
knowing: the interpersonal middle point of a continuum which includes both
the extreme dialogic pole of intra-personal communication and the extreme
monologic pole of written speech.

I think that's what "ethical ontological dialogism" refers to. But since I
am of the epistemological school, I am ready to stand corrected!

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article:
Han Hee Jeung & David Kellogg (2019): A story without SELF: Vygotsky’s
pedology, Bruner’s constructivism and Halliday’s construalism in
understanding narratives by
Korean children, Language and Education, DOI: 10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663
To link to this article: https://doi.org/10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663

Some e-prints available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/KHRxrQ4n45t9N2ZHZhQK/full?target=10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663