[Xmca-l] Re: ZPD

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 14:50:30 PDT 2019

In his introduction to the Crisis at Three (p. 283 in the English Collected
Works), Vygotsky uses "the zone of its (the critical age's) proximal
development" to refer to...the subsequent age level, that is, preschool.
This is quite consistent with all of the other things we know about the
ZPD--it is measured in years (and not months or moments), those years are
developmental years and not "passport" (i.e. calendar) years, and it is a
diagnostic and not a pedagogical device.

Although both are measured in (develomental) years,  a "level" is not the
same thing as a  "zone": the child functioning at the level of two
developmental years is not the same thing as the zone of two
developmental years which separates that child from the neonate. The level
is the age period at which the child can function. The zone is the distance
between two levels, e.g. the distance between the child at (developmental
age) three and the child at (developmental) preschool age. The level is a
milestone, but the zone is the distance between milestones.

The real level or real zone is not the same thing as the potential zone or
potential level, precisely because the internalization of a function
(vraschivaniya) takes years. If we find, for example, that it is literally
true that the function the child can realize with assistance today is a
function that the child can realize without assistance
tomorrow--literally within twenty-four hours of instruction--all we
have demonstrated is that this function is part of the actual level of
development and not the next, or proximal, one.

This is why, in order to make the ZPD into a diagnostic and not a
pedagogical tool, we need to know the pedological age levels whose zones,
measured in years, it was designed to diagnose. We also need some way of
diagnosing them that does not depend either on the calendar (passport
years) or on the hated Binet-Simon tasks which Vygotsky used and criticized
and which were later used to criticize him. These were what the ZPD was
designed to replace.

(It seems to me that these two problems might make good special issues for
MCA! I wonder....)

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article;

 David Kellogg (2019) THE STORYTELLER’S TALE: VYGOTSKY’S ‘VRASHCHIVANIYA’,
THE ZONE OF PROXIMAL DEVELOPMENT AND ‘INGROWING’ IN THE WEEKEND STORIES OF
KOREAN CHILDREN, British Journal of Educational Studies, DOI:
10.1080/00071005.2019.1569200
<https://doi.org/10.1080/00071005.2019.1569200>

Some e-prints available at:

https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/GSS2cTAVAz2jaRdPIkvj/full?target=10.1080/00071005.2019.1569200