[Xmca-l] Re: Saussure vs Peirce

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Mon Mar 18 18:27:26 PDT 2019

Yes, all true, Martin, but in my view in saying that *a word
is a sign for a concept*, the real or imagined entity which
is deemed to be a /instance/ of the concept is a *moment**of
the concept*, as are the /practices/ whereby those instances
are subsumed under the universal. I should have made that clear.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm
On 19/03/2019 1:29 am, Martin Packer wrote:
> Yes, it is indeed a trivial example. And yes, I agree that
> one needs all the utterances in a conversation to
> understand it. And equally, one needs all the conversation
> to understand a single utterance. More importantly, so do
> the speakers. But certainly an utterance can be comprised
> of a single word (Well; Rubbish; Eureka; or anything
> else), or even silence. And this implies that one needs
> all the conversation to understand a single word. To
> define a word solely as a sign for a concept seem to me to
> abstract it from its conversational, that's to say real
> world, context. A word *can* be a sign for a concept, but
> in practice*_it will also be a reference to a real or
> imagined concrete entity_*. To the extent that a science
> is a mediator, a tool, and not an abstract system it seems
> to me important to keep focus on how words are used in
> ongoing processes of conceptualization.
>
> Martin
>

>> On Mar 17, 2019, at 7:27 PM, Andy Blunden
>> <andyb@marxists.org <mailto:andyb@marxists.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Martin, I get the point, but any complex process is made
>> up of units, many of them.  That's the point of using
>> analysis by units. The excerpt you give is a trivial one.
>> In general you need /all/ the numerous utterances in a
>> conversation to understand an extended interaction. It is
>> like Engestrom who thinks when two activities interact,
>> we have to have a new "fourth  generation" unit, i.e.,
>> two activity systems interacting. But that is only
>> because he took the activity system as a /system /not a
>> /unit /in the first place.
>>
>> Andy

>> Andy Blunden
>> http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm
>> On 18/03/2019 9:14 am, Martin Packer wrote:
>>> Seems to me, David, that the notion that the basic unit
>>> is the pair is precisely what helps us understand an
>>> exchange such as:
>>>
>>> A. How are you?
>>> B. Fine, thanks, and you?