[Xmca-l] Re: Saussure vs Peirce

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 21:06:13 PDT 2019

Bakhtin is clear (in Speech Genres and Other Late Essays). He rejects
"fictitious" units such as the sentence. He is looking for "real" (the
Russian term he uses can also mean "actual" or "practical") units, and that
unit is defined by the change in speaker.

Now, here's the problem (and I strongly disagree with Andy that it is a
trivial one--I think that if you want a trivial problem, the use of the
TITLE "Homage to Catalonia" as a stand in or the complete text of Orwell's
novel (was it even a novel?) is a much better example.

We could cut the real, actual, practical unit in half and split it into two
different adjacency pairs as you suggest. CA has a way of talking about
this: it's "turn transition point" where a change of speaker is possible
but not necessarily real, actual, practical. As soon as you do this,
though, you have to admit (and real, actual, practical data will support
this) that there are two such transition points--not just one--WITHIN your
utterance (in addition to the real, actual, practical turn transition
point. .