[Xmca-l] Re: Saussure vs Peirce

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Sun Mar 17 17:27:49 PDT 2019

Martin, I get the point, but any complex process is made up
of units, many of them.  That's the point of using analysis
by units. The excerpt you give is a trivial one. In general
you need /all/ the numerous utterances in a conversation to
understand an extended interaction. It is like Engestrom who
thinks when two activities interact, we have to have a new
"fourth  generation" unit, i.e., two activity systems
interacting. But that is only because he took the activity
system as a /system /not a /unit /in the first place.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm