[Xmca-l] Re: Where is Marx in the work and thought of Vygotsky? by Lucien Seve

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Sun Jun 30 04:11:07 PDT 2019

Just a couple of remarks on this very interesting paper:

(1) When I read "Thought & Language" (the 1962 translation)
- my first Vygotsky, I instantly recognised as a work of
Marxism, and one informed by Hegel to boot. Which verifies
Seve's obvious point that cutting out the explicit
references to Marx does not remove the Marxist character of
the work.

(2) Seve (in my view) completely misunderstands Hegel's idea
of "concept", attributing to Hegel the analytical view which
Vygotsky also used up until 1931, at which point he came in
contact with Hegelians. Marx made numerous "corrections" to
Hegel, but the form of the concept was not one of those.

(3) The meaning of Taetigkeit, Handlung, Aktivitaet, Praxis,
etc., the various words in German, English and Russian, for
"activity" is not cut and dry - different writers use
different words differently. But despite the importance of
the "productivist" interpretation of "Praxis" in
anthropology and historiography, it has always seemed to me
that the more general meaning of "purposive (social,
artefact mediated) activity" is more appropriate for
Psychology, and the meaning Vygotsky had in mind. It seems
that Leontyev perversely agrees with this because of his
spiteful attack on Vygotsky's supposed "idealism" (See JREEP
v. 43, 2005) for not understanding "Praxis" in this
productivist way.

Still, very welcome article. Pity some of us Anglophones,
like me, are so ignorant of the French language.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm