[Xmca-l] Re: Research on refugees/immigrants/migrants and Legitimate Peripheral Participation?

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Thu Jun 27 06:35:09 PDT 2019

Alfredo, I think it is precisely by participation in a
common activity (or project or community of practice) that
oppression takes place. The apprentice voluntarily submits
themself to the activity and the division of labour, roles,
etc., inherent in it. The master necessarily has power over
the apprentice, and active attention is required to avoid
exploitation and oppression to avoid the master exploiting
the apprentice in the process of inducting them into the
practice.

If, for example, the apprentice already had the skills and
tools required for the relevant practice then they would
need an apprenticeship and would not be vulnerable to
exploitation.

Although exploitation and oppression probably does occur
when the master does not have anything that the apprentice
needs, but I think that is exceptional.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm