[Xmca-l] Re: History of Explicit and Implicit Knowledge

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 03:37:02 PDT 2019

Hi Greg,

This question and distinction originally interested me when I was trying to
work out what intuition is. "Implicit" hides a variety of meanings and
sense, whereas explicit is narrower in range and can be connoted with sign,
and hence this aspect can be linked with Vygotsky.  To the extent that I
have studied Peirce, his object and interpretant seem to have agreement too.

>From wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_C._Tolman>: "Tolman
also promoted the concept known as latent learning first coined by Blodgett
(1929)"

Polanyi (1958) referred to tacit knowledge quite extensively.  There were a
number of other authors that I read contemporary with Polanyi.

P. I. Zinchenko's (1939) study on voluntary and involuntary learning gives
experimental accounts of these two different methods of learning.

Best,
Huw