[Xmca-l] Re: A new book: Dialogic Pedagogy and Polyphonic Research Art: Bakhtin by and for Educators

Ana Marjanovic-Shane anamshane@gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 17:55:50 PDT 2019

Dear Greg,

Yes, it is interesting and exciting to “accomplish” dialogue in a medium like this – but in a way isn’t it the most natural medium for a dialogue? I remember when I first got an internet connection (back in the 80’s!!) and was able to exchange e-mails with so many people all over the world, it felt like a beginning of an era of real dialogue – “involving a plurality of unique and opaque consciousnesses with equal rights and each authoring and living in its own dialogically bounded world (cf. Bakhtin, 1999 , p. 6).” (Matusov, Marjanovic-Shane, Gradovski, 2019, p. 275). I remember distinctly how exciting it was to address people and be addressed by them in the email  – as pure voices, unburdened by their physical appearance that could betray their age, gender, speech dialect that could reveal their nationality (at the times of the civil wars in Yugoslavia), etc. Everyone could be addressed by “Thou” (in Serbo-Croatian, it is an egalitarian pronoun, treating the interlocutor as an equal, and also as someone with whom one can be direct and open, as opposed to “You”, that like French “Vou”, Spanish “Usted” German “Sie” – shows deference to a hierarchical authority of the older and/or wiser, or merely institutionally superiors or authorities). It eliminated sexism to a large extent too, and it eliminated boundaries between different circles of people: everyone and anyone could join a dialogue!

In fact, I think that group lists like this one are the natural medium for a true dialogue.

As for the issues that you feel important for our discussion: “sustainability” and “subjectivity” – let’s discuss them further.

Sustainability of EOD:

You wrote: “My question is more of an ecological one: is it sustainable in the sense that you can put it out into the world and it will be able to be taken up by teachers and others and practiced, and that this can be ongoing? Now, granted, the ecologies that I'm talking about are human ones. Hence my other question: what would need to change in order to make it sustainable? (and, relatedly, what is keeping it from being sustainable?). I like your suggestions and agree that standardized testing is a major impediment to the kind of EOD practice that you describe (as well as many other kinds of good pedagogical practices!).”

In my view, an ecology that would promote (although not guarantee) Ethical Ontological Dialogism, could only be conceptualized if and when the intrinsic, rather than instrumental, sphere of education, as a basic human need and right, can be legitimized as the main, or at least one of the main purposes of education. It is a basic human need to be educated for her/his own reasons, on her/his own terms, at the time and in the manner that is most suitable to her/his own unique life trajectory, etc.

If education is truly to be owned by the learner as his/her unalienated right of becoming, a legitimate right of pursuing a journey toward him/her-self, it would mean to completely change what today is the dominant purpose of education: to serve various other social, cultural and even personal needs. Such education, that serves other non-educational spheres is instrumental. It is a tool to help develop social goals of economy, science, technology, politics, legislature, medicine, etc. or to help a person get a better paid job, advance the position of her/his family; gain a social status, etc.

These different social, cultural and personal goals can be defined and standardized, and they can be built into an educational system. They can shape education into a fully predefined activity (conceptualized as an activity system), regardless of who are the actual students or the teachers, who will be “put through” this activity. In such educational system (as we have now), individual subjectivity is irrelevant! Any particular “acter” in the system can be replaced – because it is the system that defines what each position in it should ideally mean. Standardized tests are just a tip of the ice-berg of such activity system that is predefined and preconceptualized – in other words a system that Aristotle would describe as “poïesis” – a practice which structure, form and content are predefined, and its outcomes known in advance.

In contrast, the main purpose and premise of Education based on Ethical Ontological Dialogism is the support of the unique trajectory of each individual learning journey, which is not known in advance, and cannot be assumed to exist apart from the particular unique learner and/or teacher. Such a practice would be a “praxis” in terms of Aristotle, a practice whose purposes, goals, forms and trajectories evolve from itself and are based on the uniqueness of the involved participants, serendipity of the moment-to-moment events, the availability of the cultural, historical, economic, political, and other social “resources” (artefacts, ideas, concepts, means that can “fuel” educational inquiries). In such praxis, there exist a plurality of purposes for education, including its instrumental potentials for the society and for the individuals, and its non-instrumental values (to learn something “just because it is interesting and important to me, and I like it”). What is important is the legitimacy of each learner’s and teacher’s subjectivity. Such education is not based on replaceable individuals and does not aim to produce “replaceable” individuals.

Ethical Ontological Dialogism, in fact, requires acknowledgement of the uniqueness of each person her/his education. And that would require many changes. In that sense, “sustainability” should be not about content and form of education (curriculum, instruction, organization, even relationships), but about values and purposes of education.

Of course, ecology for EOD depends on various economic and societal conditions that either make EOD more possible and more valuable, or make it less possible and less valuable. Eugene Matusov is working on a new book in which he claims that instrumental education in the past and the present is a result of the economic and societal necessities: we need people who are trained to do many jobs in which they function as parts of large activity systems (economy, health, legal and judiciary spheres, technology, maintenance of infra-structures, etc.). Under such circumstances, human unique, unpredictable, transcending subjectivity is not only irrelevant, but can be dangerously undermining and destructive for the activity system.

However, the more predictable and the more standardized is a particular activity system, the more chance that it will be possible to develop smart machines (robots) that can do such jobs. The current development of technology, especially technology based on artificial intelligence, will enable our societies to replace many humans with real smart machines, even for highly professional jobs – in the near future. This will free many people from the necessity to act as a smart machine and create circumstances in which a society would be able to afford what today is affordable only to the very wealthy: a lot of time for true leisure, a kind of leisure that in the ancient Greek was called “skhole” (Greek: skhole "spare time, leisure, rest, ease; idleness; that in which leisure is employed; learned discussion;" – Online Etymology Dictionary: https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=school). These circumstances would much better support  creation of educational ecology that promotes EOD.

And that leads us to the issue #2 –

Subjectivity and EOD

In our book, we argue that human subjectivity, in fact, has to be considered in a dualistic way – both as something given i.e., objective subjectivity, studied by conventional psychology (including sociocultural one), and also as something that is in continuous dialogic authorial subjectivity, and thus, unfinalizable, unpredictable (even for the person in question), unique and transcending her/his prior self.
We claim that

…human subjectivity always has simultaneously an objective aspect (i.e., “consciousness-as-it”) and an authorial aspect (i.e., “consciousness-as-you”) (Matusov, 2015, p. 401), we think that both positivist and dialogic paradigms are legitimate in social sciences. This dualistic science epistemology for social sciences and humanities was unapologetically proposed by Bakhtin (1986). Bakhtin seemed to accept the objectification of human subjectivity promoted by positivist social sciences as legitimate under certain conditions when personal human uniqueness, personal authorial authorship, and personal voice do not dominate a phenomenon.” (Matusov, Marjanovic-Shane, Gradovski, 2019, p. 277).

It is this dual mode of existence, that is the source of what you call “emphasizing different sides of the argument”. It is quite possible and often necessary to objectify subjectivity of the other and the self.  But it is also necessary to keep in mind that the subjectivity, in its very core, actually emerges in the process of dialogic meaning-making, and thus, its source, essence and actual life as subjectivity is unfinalizable, transcendent, unique and unpredictable.

In the book we identified two main sources of objectification of human subjectivity.

One main source is rooted in objective ways of how a person feels, thinks, acts, and behaves due to physical, chemical, biological, psychological, cultural, social, economic, political, historical, and institutional pressures that make human subjectivity predictable and replaceable. For example, a cognitive study shows that when some people are primed to remember words depicting old people, they might tend to walk slowly (Kahneman, 2013). Here, priming—the preexisting objectivity of human subjectivity—is revealed by the positivist research” (Matusov, Marjanovic-Shane, Gradovski, 2019, p. 278).

The other source of objectifying human subjectivity is

…when people are treated as objects of other people’s or their own actions. For example, in conventional schools, students are often treated as objects of teachers’ pedagogical actions to make them predictably and systematically arrive at preset curricular endpoints, to be measured by educational tests, quizzes, and exams. Alternatively, some people consciously want to limit their own uniqueness and authorial authorship in some areas to save their creative efforts for other areas. Thus, famous physicist Albert Einstein and former US President Barak Obama deliberately made their choice of everyday dress cyclical and predictable, while other people may find a choice of their everyday dress a part of their creative self-expression. Here, the objective subjectivity is new and actively constructed by other people or by the people themselves” (p. 278, italics added now).

In fact, objectifying human subjectivity is quite successfully done in all forms of behavioristic shaping of others’ behavior. There are extensive psychological, sociological and educational studies based on positivist objective and objectifying approach to human sciences. One could argue that these approaches have been successful and that a lot has been learned about the objectifiable aspects of human subjectivity.

In our book, we make a particular point in defense of objectivism of the positivist research of the given – because it studies the objective subjectivity. We do not argue that dialogism is a “better” approach, nor an “ultimate” approach. Rather, we argue that both the positivist, objective science approach to capture the givens of the subjectivity, human relations, social practices, etc., and dialogic approach to the unfinalizable, meaning-making, unique and transcendent subjectivity – are legitimate in their own right, and that it is important to find boundaries of each one’s legitimacy.  We wrote,

“We argue that both positivist science and dialogic science have their legitimacy and limitations. Thus, it is legitimate for positivist science to study objective things and objective subjectivities. For example, we praise (see Matusov, 2017) cognitive psychologist Daniel Kahneman who studied flaws of human gut subjectivity (Kahneman, 2013). However, when positivist science tries to study authorial subjectivity, live voices, dialogic meaning making, or ethical responsibility, it kills what it studies in its process. In essence, we both agree and disagree with the postmodernist critique of positivism (see, for example, Denzin & Lincoln, 2005). We agree with the critique of its limitations and of its inappropriateness in some areas of research. But, we respectfully disagree that positivism is wrong in each and every case and that it has to be eliminated.

Similarly, dialogic science has its own limitations and applicability. When dialogic science tries to study the objective world (and objective subjectivity), at best it generates good poetry, metaphors, or fiction prose, anthropologizing and ventriloquizing voiceless things, and at worst it creates new oppressive religious mysticisms or “alternative facts.” It can be legitimate for dialogic researchers to study astronomers involved in a positivist study of stars by addressing and responding to astronomers, but it is not legitimate for these dialogic researchers to try to address and respond to stars or talk with trees (see a debate on that here: Matusov & Wegerif, 2014)”. (Matusov, Marjanovic-Shane, Gradovski, 2019, Dialogic pedagogy and polyphonic research art: Bakhtin by and for educators, Palgrave, pp. 226-7)
It seems that your question is in regard of a possibility for coexistence of two legitimate educational modes: a conventional, objectifying, instrumental educational mode in which education is conceptualized as a “poïesis” – i.e. the curriculum, instruction, evaluation and its other aspects are predefined, and based on the “best practices” discovered through objectifying positivist approach to subjectivity; and at the same time, existence of the sustainable ethical ontological dialogism in which both subjectivities and education itself are deemed “praxis” that creates ecologies in which emergence of unfinalizable, transcendent, unique and unpredictable subjectivities is possible.

Ultimately, for me, Ethical Ontological Dialogism is about legitimizing the fact that this question is to be answered by the educational participant, i.e. the learner and /or the teacher (and possibly other relevant parties, like parents). In other words, ethical ontological dialogism in education should start with addressing this question to every participant: “What is the purpose of education for me? Why?” and having this dialogue be critically analyzed – and illuminating every educational decision along the way.

What do you think?

Ana

--
Ana Marjanovic-Shane