[Xmca-l] Re: Do we find Inequalities in wild life system?

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Wed Jan 30 22:46:54 PST 2019

Harshad, one might just as well say that there is inequality
among mountains because some are higher than others, or for
that matter that there is inequality among numbers. If that
was the drift of your original question, obviously, we who
can understand the English language can see inequality
everywhere. I thought you were asking about inequality in
the sense of justice and injustice.

Annalie, I was not quite right in what I said about states.
In traditional communities there are definite norms, ethical
precepts, which have a cultural existence and are maintained
by the traditional non-state structures. But in such
communities, injustice or inequality could only be
experienced by individuals - perhaps due to a grudge or some
rivalry, so that the relevant cultural norms were violated.

The point is that *injustice *can only arise *where there is
justice*, inequality where equality, in whatever formulation
it is given in that community, is upheld as a *norm*, and
consequently, can be violated. But it is only in states
where whole classes of people can experience injustice.

Questions of the distinction between law and rights and the
issue of civil disobedience are very complex. But obviously,
injustice and inequality are not solved by going to a "state
of nature" but only by "improving" the functioning of the
state. If the state has been captured by a sectional
interest, then it is not  state in the proper sense of the
word at all, not a "true state."

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm