[Xmca-l] Language, mind and objectivity

James Ma jamesma320@gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 07:23:19 PST 2019

Hello Fellows,

I'd like to resume early discussion on language, music and philosophy with
a separate header to address the intersection of language, mind and
objectivity.

I now start by perusing Andy's message below. As it stands, his
counterargument to mine is a little sloppy and, more to the point, barely
scratches the surface. My argument centres on a position that there is no
way to talk about language without using language. Any language is thus to
be scrutinised through the medium of itself (or another language). In doing
so, one can't escape from being insider of that language. I
elaborate my position as below, which might serve as pointers for
discussion or reflection:

First, language faculty reduces to mind. In studying the mind, one needs to
attend to the use of mind in two different senses: a mind as the object
(that is being studied) and a mind as the subject (that is doing the study).

Second, to understand how mind functions in the world, it is necessary to
bring perception into focus. It seems to be a rather naive realistic view
that "in speech and writing, language is objective and actual, so we can
also observe it". This doesn't entirely qualify as a case of perceptual
recognition in that it latches on sense-data out of which one makes
inference, without taking into consideration an interaction of three
relations in perception, i.e. sense-data, the object behind sense-data, and
the subject (observer). There seems to be a missing subjective angle from
which the object is viewed. Moreover, inference processing is not simply
conscious or deliberate; it also sets free implicit, involuntary or even
irrational dispositions of the mind. In short, perception is interpretative
and subjective because it is participatory in nature. I believe that all
claims to knowledge answer in the end to perception. Taking for example
language teaching, it involves a human being working with another human
being, in which case you have to consider the effect of consciousness and
intersubjectivity. There is no thought-free perception or perception-free
thought - what you get in the mind is not the same as what you perceive!

Third, writing, which has the life of its own, can't be analysed without
being impinged by the observer's own perception. Recent research in TESOL
emphasises the role of learner identity in second language acquisition.

Perhaps we should think that the world is already the best representation
of itself, to which human beings have limited access. I found Thomas
Nagel's explanation of objectivity an eye-opener and a mind-liberator!

James